Cake Bible Recipes

Baking By Lori0514 Updated 20 Nov 2010 , 8:23pm by -K8memphis

Lori0514 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lori0514 Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 1:19am
post #1 of 11

Hi!

I'm in search for the perfect yellow and chocolate cake recipes! I made a sheet cake last week and used the Sylvia Weinstock butter cake recipe and I have to say I didn't think it was good, it turned out dry. Now, maybe I didn't do it right, but it wasn't great as the reviews led me to believe. So, I found the recipe for the Cake Bible Downy Yellow Butter Cake, it also got rave reviews. Has anyone tried it? Also looking for a moist chocolate cake recipe from scratch. The Hershey's cake recipe on the cocoa box is really good, I don't know how it would do as a sheet cake. So, just looking for suggestions.

THANKS!!! Lori

10 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 2:59am
post #2 of 11

How did you make the Sylvia? Did you change anything? Substitue anything? Do you have an oven thermometer?

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 3:08am
post #3 of 11

I have never had Sylvia's yellow cake turn out dry. I LOVE that recipe. I use Mexican vanilla and it's so good.

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 3:11am
post #4 of 11

Oh I wanted to mention with Sylvia's recipe I just add the whole egg when you are supposed to add the yolk. I don't beat the whites separately.

toni1218 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toni1218 Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 8:27pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn2179

Oh I wanted to mention with Sylvia's recipe I just add the whole egg when you are supposed to add the yolk. I don't beat the whites separately.

I am a newbie to baking... what does adding the whole egg as opposed to just the yolks do to the cake - what changes to the texture/taste?

Thanks icon_smile.gif

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 2:40am
post #6 of 11

The epicurious.com site has a fabulous double chocolate cake recipe. It has coffee, and two types of chocolate (cocoa and grated dark chocolate). It's my new favorite chocolate cake recipe.

jade8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jade8 Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 3:06am
post #7 of 11

I was not a fan of they Sylvia recipe. I found it too sweet but it was very tender, almost melt in your mouth feel. I did try and liked the Fluffy Yellow Cake by America's Test Kitchen.

Lori0514 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lori0514 Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 7:28pm
post #8 of 11

I didn't make any substitutions, whipped the whites separately and folded into the cake batter as recipe said. Maybe I did bake it too long which caused it to be dry. ??

I made the Downy Yellow Cake (Cake Bible recipe) last week for my family and parents. Everyone liked except my kids - it was very light but not moist. I would recommend for someone who wants a drier cake, but definitely not for a kids birthday cake.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions! Someone had recommended a chocolate mayonaise cake to me today also so maybe I'll try that too.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 7:52pm
post #9 of 11

My favorites are the vanilla buttermilk cake from Sky High.

http://awhiskandaspoon.com/2009/05/28/vanilla-buttermilk-cake-with-vanilla-swiss-meringue-buttercream/

And, the chocolate sour cream cake from Sky High, too.

http://smittenkitchen.com/2008/08/chocolate-peanut-butter-cake/

cha-cha-cha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cha-cha-cha Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 7:56pm
post #10 of 11

Does anyone have the Sylvia recipe they can share? I'd love to try it. I've actually heard it was pretty good. thanks!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 8:23pm
post #11 of 11

google Sylvia Weinstock yeloow cake

there's a new one with milk & and old version without milk

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%