I'm Going To Throw My Balls Out The Window - Coloring Choc

Sugar Work By Megs1025 Updated 14 Nov 2010 , 2:47pm by LindaF144a

Megs1025 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Megs1025 Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 11:40pm
post #1 of 10

Ok- I wrote a long post about my first cake ball experience on the cake ball thread... it sucked

I've began making my second batch which I chose to make red and green (for the holidays) colored cake balls.. NOT GOING WELL

Can I not use the same gel colors (Americolor) I use in my frosting to color the white chocolate???

These are a disaster, its getting thick and I've added so much crisco the chocolate won't even set. Please help icon_sad.gif

9 replies
m1m Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m1m Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 12:00am
post #2 of 10

I haven't had good luck using the gel colors for white chocolate.

I started buying the Wilton chocolates that come already colored.

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 12:05am
post #3 of 10

You can't use gel colours in chocolate as it adds moisture to it and makes it seize up. You either need to use coloured cocoa butter or powder colours.

HTH

mariyka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariyka Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 12:08am
post #4 of 10

when coloring white chocolate you have to use oil based colors, I use wilton's
candy colors. I did a Autumn leaves cake (in my photos) and the colors
turned out great on the white chocolate leaves. thumbs_up.gif

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 12:08am
post #5 of 10

Wilton sells candy colors for use with chocolate. They are oil based so the chocolate won't seize. They are not located with all the other food coloring, but with the candy stuff.

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 12:15am
post #6 of 10

You can't use any water based colors...water causes the chocolate to seize up. You have to use oil-based colors for chocolate. So sorry!

Jeannem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeannem Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 2:15am
post #7 of 10

You can also buy flo-coat (made by Americolor). It lets you use the Americolor gels--especially nice if you're matching frosting and chocolate, or don't want to keep a lot of different colored chocolate on hand. Ratio is 5 to 1...

sugarspice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarspice Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 1:00pm
post #8 of 10

I use CK colored choc disks-many colors available! I think they melt and coat better (by far) than Wilton. I tried coloring once too....it doesn't work! Try again

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 1:17pm
post #9 of 10

I just saw the title of this strand and thought it was hilarious!

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 2:47pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarspice

I use CK colored choc disks-many colors available! I think they melt and coat better (by far) than Wilton. I tried coloring once too....it doesn't work! Try again

But yes it does work when you use the right product. That is how you get colored disks in the first place. Use oil based and not water based food coloring and it will work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%