Movie Question - To Wong Foo

Lounge By playingwithsugar Updated 14 Nov 2010 , 2:40am by playingwithsugar

playingwithsugar Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 11:26pm
post #1 of 10

I adore the town setting in the movie To Wong Foo, Thanks For Everything, Julie Newmar.

In hopes of not insulting anyone from the midwest or western USA, are there actual towns that look like the setting for this film?

I would love to know where. It's the kind of place that I would put on my bucket list, to spend a week there in late Spring or early Summer.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

9 replies
KlyKat Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 1:22am
post #2 of 10

I hope to bump this for you...I feel the same wayicon_smile.gif I love that movie!!! And the little town is so quaint and comfortable looking. I would love to live somewhere like that...

playingwithsugar Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 1:26am
post #3 of 10

Thanks for the bump.

I think being in a town that has a population of about 40 would be very cool, even if only for a week or two. Although everyone knows each other's business, they also look out for each other. That's the way it was when I moved to where I now live, but as the population grew and people moved to more suburban areas, that sense of community whispered away.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Elcee Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 2:21am
post #4 of 10

playingwithsugar, To Wong Foo is one of my favorite movies!

We have a lot of tiny little towns like that here in Colorado, just without the dust and with nicer scenery icon_smile.gif Here's a link to a "ghost town" that reminds me of the town; while a few people do live there, it's mostly a museum. I find the IDEA of living like that romantic and appealing but in reality, I'd miss me creature comforts too much. they are always way, way off the beaten track. If you forget someting when you go grocery shopping, it's a disaster.

playingwithsugar Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 2:36am
post #5 of 10

Oh, thanks, that town is too cool! The weathered wood on the buildings is so appealing.

I'm originally from New York City, so you know I couldn't stay there very long. I'd miss public transportation and dirty water dogs too much. LOL!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Annabakescakes Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 5:11am
post #6 of 10

I was just telling my husband about that movie! He is scandalized about Patrick Swayze in a dress! My husband is just to manly for all that icon_rolleyes.gif

cabecakes Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 12:11am
post #7 of 10

I really hate living in a small town sometimes. Don't get me wrong, I love living out in the sticks on a dirt road, and no neighbors close by. If I want to step out on my porch buck naked I could and no one would see me. But I would also like access to some of the "luxuries" of living in a larger city. The museums, art, theatre and shopping malls. The biggest store we have around here is Super Wally World and it's 8 miles away. The closest "mall" if you want to call it that is about 40 miles away. Small town life sometimes isn't all it's cracked up to be, but other times it's everything you could ever want.

Elcee Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 12:36am
post #8 of 10
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes

I was just telling my husband about that movie! He is scandalized about Patrick Swayze in a dress! My husband is just to manly for all that icon_rolleyes.gif

LOL! I say if it's manly enough for Patrick Swayze and Wesley Snipes it's manly enough for anyone! icon_lol.gif

Karen421 Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 1:05am
post #9 of 10

I wouldn't trade my small town for anything! I came from the "big" city, the hustle and bustle, give me the peace and quiet, the deer and the coyotes any day!! Every body knows each other and is kind (mostly), You can't go to any grocery store without a 20 minute conversation with an attentive cashier. I love it!!! icon_biggrin.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 2:40am
post #10 of 10

So, after a short search on the 'Net, I found where the movie was filmed.

And now I know what name to write on my list.

Thanks for all who responded and read this thread. It's been fun. Let's do it again, some time.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%