Kitchen Aid Mixer (Mindy) Is Dying...so Sad!

Decorating By sweetlayers Updated 15 Nov 2010 , 1:10am by Gerle

sweetlayers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlayers Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 9:44pm
post #1 of 20

Well, I didn't think it could happen, but my KA 600 6 quart stand mixer is dying after 4.5 years of service. The past year has been a growing experience for my business and I guess all the buttercream is just wearing her out. When I turn her on, she just sits there for like 1 minute before she turns. The 10 setting now runs like the 8 setting used to. And she moans like she is in pain when starts spinning.

I hate to lay her to rest because she got me started and helped me actually start a business from nothing! I owe her so much. That machine helped give me purpose when I was clueless about myself and what I wanted in my life.

I love you Mindy! You will be missed! Ashes to ashes... icon_cry.gif

Through tears...Anyone know of a mixer just a little larger that can still fit on my countertop?

19 replies
deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 9:56pm
post #2 of 20

I got a Cuisinart 7 quart last month and love it!!! It fits beautifully under my cabinet on my counter (I am pretty sure it actually is a little shorter than the KA). It also has a few very nice features...timer, bowl cover, fold in button, etc.

iamcakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamcakin Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 10:10pm
post #3 of 20

icon_sad.gif so sorry for your loss.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 10:22pm
post #4 of 20

The KA was not repairable? I've had mine repaired a couple times...might be $100 but its cheaper than buying new.... I keep two KA 6 qts on my counter.

sweetlayers Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 10:28pm
post #5 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

The KA was not repairable? I've had mine repaired a couple times...might be $100 but its cheaper than buying new.... I keep two KA 6 qts on my counter.

How can I make this happen?

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 10:32pm
post #6 of 20

Try to search in your area for a repair place that is certified to repair KitchenAid...that or I think calling or emailing KA themselves, they can tell you where your closest repair shop is located.

I've considered replacing mine a few times but man...to get a nice Viking or something is gonna be $400-$500 and it only costs $200 or less to repair BOTH of my 6 qt mixers...so I just keep repairing if necessary. One of mine is a refurbished one anyway.

infinitsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infinitsky Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 10:35pm
post #7 of 20

Have you ever regreased it in the past 4.5 years.
I have an article with complete pictures that shows how to disassemble the KA mixer, regrease every little corner and bolt and reasesmble it again.
(my DH was supposed to regrease my KA about 7 months ago, which he did not yet do it) icon_sad.gif
I have to search for it in my computer, will post when I find it.

sweetlayers Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 10:42pm
post #8 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitsky

Have you ever regreased it in the past 4.5 years.
I have an article with complete pictures that shows how to disassemble the KA mixer, regrease every little corner and bolt and reasesmble it again.
(my DH was supposed to regrease my KA about 7 months ago, which he did not yet do it) icon_sad.gif
I have to search for it in my computer, will post when I find it.

That will be helpful. However, I can imagine, I will do more damage if I try to take her apart.

Brenda41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brenda41 Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 10:57pm
post #9 of 20
infinitsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infinitsky Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 12:49am
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda41

http://artisanbreadbaking.com/ka_greasing

This is exactly what I was talking about, Thanks Brenda41.... icon_smile.gif

sweetlayers Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 2:16pm
post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda41

http://artisanbreadbaking.com/ka_greasing

Oh my goodness. I would never be able to put her back together. Gears, screwdrivers, etc are way out of my league!

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 2:34pm
post #12 of 20

Cuisinart 7qt. It's just great.

sweetlayers Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 4:50pm
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

Cuisinart 7qt. It's just great.

How does it handle buttercream?

imagenthatnj Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 5:06pm
post #14 of 20

It handles anything. I make mostly IMBC. But I've also softened frozen butter with it. I figure, if I can make bread with it...

Review here from Cooks Illustrated.

Advance to 04:54.

http://bostoncp.http.internapcdn.net/bostoncp/podcasts/20080915_fluffy_yellow_cake_hi.m4v

I also bought the 5.5qt for my sister 2 years ago, and I just got another 5.5qt for me (hobby baking but two different houses, can't live without one). I think the best is the warranty, 5 years as opposed to 1 for the KA.

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 8:41pm
post #15 of 20

also the cuisenart is basically the same price as the KA.

It has handled every thing I have thrown at it. But I'm just a hobby baker.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 9:14pm
post #16 of 20

Doesn't the Cuisinart have a bigger watt motor than the KA's do?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

imagenthatnj Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 9:21pm
post #17 of 20

1,000 watts for the 7 qt., 800 watts for the 5.5 qt. for Cuisinart. I think it's double than the KA.

cheriej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheriej Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 9:35pm
post #18 of 20

Go for the Cuisinart 7QT! It works like a dream, handles multiple batches of buttercream, cookie dough etc. I've had mine since this summer and I love it! I also got it on sale at macy's when they had some special (25% off) and free shipping.

Justbeck101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justbeck101 Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 10:20pm
post #19 of 20
Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 1:10am
post #20 of 20

I agree with purchasing a Cuisinart. I one last month and it's been fantastic! I love the larget bowl and some of the other features on it that are missing on the KA. And the much longer warranty is definitely a plus with the problems of today's KAs. I use to be a faithful KA user, but after everything that is happening to the new models, I wouldn't buy another one. I still have my older KA (that was made when Hobart still made them) and use it, too, but most of the work goes to the Cuisinart.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%