Someone Reprimand Me, Please!

Business By silverdragon997 Updated 12 Nov 2010 , 11:15pm by elliespartycake

silverdragon997 Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 9:07pm
post #1 of 15

I keep lowballing myself on my prices. I know I need to stop that, but for some reason I do it anyway.

I just made 2 dozen cupcakes for work. I was asked to make them pink and sparkly with flowers on them. We didn't even discuss price, because it's not an issue. I charged $2.75 per cupcake, and when I handed the invoice to the person who ordered them he said "That's it?". Apparently even they think I should charge more!

So please, please, pound it into my head that I need to stop undercharging for my work!

14 replies
CakeDiva101 Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 9:20pm
post #2 of 15

I will pound on your head if you pound on mine. Deal? thumbs_up.gif

idgalpal Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 9:46pm
post #3 of 15

I work part time for a cater who told me "no one will value your service until you value your service" sometimes I have to say it to myself over and over, but it helps!

deMuralist Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 9:53pm
post #4 of 15

When I worked as a hairdresser, I had a similar problem. I thought that I couldn't afford my prices so my customers probably couldn't either. My boss told me to quit looking in their wallets, it was not my place to decide how they should spend their money only to give them good value for it if they chose to give it to me.

Ruth0209 Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 10:00pm
post #5 of 15

I found that when I made a written price list it was much easier for me to stick to them. Somehow it was hard to tell people verbally what my prices were, but easier to give them a piece of paper and say, "Here are my prices."

Consider yourself sternly reprimanded! : )

Emmar308 Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 10:01pm
post #6 of 15

Ha ha exactly the same for me - i have one price in my head and another (much lower one!) seems to pop out of my mouth!! It's really starting to annoy my husband!

indydebi Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 11:20pm
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by deMuralist

My boss told me to quit looking in their wallets, it was not my place to decide how they should spend their money only to give them good value for it if they chose to give it to me.

take it one more step .... stop looking in their wallet and treating it like it was YOUR wallet.

I've noticed cakers on here tend to think like a consumer instead of as a business owner. (warning ... mom finger coming out!) Stop That!! icon_lol.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 11:49pm
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by idgalpal

I work part time for a cater who told me "no one will value your service until you value your service" sometimes I have to say it to myself over and over, but it helps!

I can remember both LeahS and IndyDebi saying similar things over the years.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

silverdragon997 Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 12:08am
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva101

I will pound on your head if you pound on mine. Deal? thumbs_up.gif

You have a deal! icon_biggrin.gif

To everyone else: Thanks for the head pounding!

If my customers expect to pay more, who am I to argue with that?

leah_s Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 7:13pm
post #10 of 15

I don't know how detailed the flowers were, but $2.75 per cupcake is pretty much the rate for cupcakes around here (with minimal decoration.)

cakes22 Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 7:16pm
post #11 of 15

I think that is a good price for cuppies. I charge $3.00 for very basic and go up from there.

silverdragon997 Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 10:39pm
post #12 of 15

They weren't really minimal decoration. It was these:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1864264

They were pink with sparkles and gumpaste flowers...

DinasSugarShack Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 10:58pm
post #13 of 15

These are beautiful cupcakes and you should have charged more. I do the exact same thing. I have a price in mind but chicken out when I am quoting verbally. My husband hates when I do that because he sees how much time goes into these cakes.
I think the problem for many of us is that we can create these beautiful creations and hence don't feel that we would pay for them. But I bet if we weren't so talented we would be paying these prices for such incredible things.
Take pride in your work and even if you get people that scare away because of your prices then they don't deserve your products.

silverdragon997 Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 11:02pm
post #14 of 15

Thanks Dina!

I think that's my main problem. I have this thing in my mind that if I can make these things, anyone should be able to, so I too chicken out when it comes to pricing correctly.

I'm going to stop, I swear! Either that, or I need to go to pricing rehab!

elliespartycake Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 11:15pm
post #15 of 15

I try to have a copy of my price list in my office and in my kitchen, so wherever I get the call for cake I have my "list". Then I just say the price (sometimes it's hard not to waffle, but I steel myself and just say it. (or email it if it's an email inquiry). I'm so proud of myself when I do that and usually the potential customer just says OK.

We can't be afraid to value our work!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%