Probably A Dumb Question...

Decorating By puddles_gal Updated 11 Nov 2010 , 9:16pm by Lizmybit

puddles_gal Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 7:53pm
post #1 of 11

If I make something from 50/50 fondant and gumpaste, do I just leave it out to air dry, or does it have to be covered i.e. put in an airtight container? I am making a cake for my husband's birthday and am making a fondant/gumpaste hockey mask to place on top of the cake-will the mask be considered edible, or should I take it off for serving? Thank you so much for any replies! icon_biggrin.gif

10 replies
carriejoy Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 7:56pm
post #2 of 11

I would probably air dry.

cakegirl1973 Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 8:11pm
post #3 of 11

You should leave it out to air dry. Also, while the mask is made from edible ingredients, I suggest that you remove it before you cut the cake. Gumpaste does not taste very good, IMO.

brincess_b Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 8:12pm
post #4 of 11

definatly air dry - putting items like that in an air tight box means theres no air, so the wont dry (and if they are already dry, will soften up again!). for storage, you can put them in a card board box or similar, so the air still gets through.

the mask is edible, but will be hard - strictly for children and sugar addicts really! if its small, like on cupcakes, leave it (although if its for paying customers, it doesnt hurt to have a signed disclaimer in your contract), if its bigger, then u will probably need to take it off to cut the cake anyway.

FloraFlora Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 8:14pm
post #5 of 11

I'd air dry, and take it off for serving.
I don't find gumpaste appetizing, especially in big pieces.

Cakegirl313 Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 8:15pm
post #6 of 11

Their are no dumb questions here. We are all trying to learn something here icon_smile.gif I agree that you should just air dry them. I do this all the time and they come out great. I just have to becareful where I dry them because I have a 2 year old son that likes to "taste test" all my figures icon_biggrin.gif

cake_architect Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 8:16pm
post #7 of 11

leave it out to air dry, and its not a dumb question! we learn as we go =D

puddles_gal Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 8:36pm
post #8 of 11

Wow-thank you so much for the responses! Everyone on here is so helpful, and I appreciate the great advice! I will definitely air dry the mask then.

idgalpal Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 9:01pm
post #9 of 11

I would air dry it and keep it out of direct sunlight. I notice it fades.

idgalpal Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 9:10pm
post #10 of 11

I would air dry it and keep it out of direct sunlight. I notice it fades.

Lizmybit Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 9:16pm
post #11 of 11

Gum Paste tastes awful! Unless you my 3 year old nephew. Every time I make a cake he eats the gum paste accents and not the cake. Go figure!

Quote by @%username% on %date%