Upside Down Technique - 4 Getting A Level Top

Decorating By PoodleDoodle Updated 13 Nov 2010 , 12:45am by EvMarie

PoodleDoodle Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 7:38pm
post #1 of 14

Does anyone use the upside down technique. The instructions are in the "articles".

If you use it, do you have any tips?

13 replies
leah_s Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 10:34pm
post #2 of 14

I can't really get it to work.

leily Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 12:31am
post #3 of 14

i've tried it twice w/o any luck

imagenthatnj Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 3:23am
post #4 of 14

I haven't used it, but I've read here that Angelfood4 uses it with everything from buttercream to ganache. I see that it's a slight variation, though. She doesn't put the buttercream/ganache on the board and then the cake on top as in the CC instructions. She covers the top with buttercream or ganache, then puts a board on it, and flips it.

http://sugarsweetcakesandtreats.blogspot.com/2010/05/covering-cake-in-ganache.html

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-forum-userprofile-639191.html

KoryAK Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 8:41am
post #5 of 14

I use this for ALL my topsy turvy cakes and square cakes. LOVE IT! (I use SMBC)

SugarFiend Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 10:35am
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

<perk> Seriously? How do you keep the SMBC from sticking? I have a small cake that will have a non-crusting cream cheese icing this weekend, but I thought the upside down method only worked with crusting buttercreams. Please do tell, KoryAK (BTW, your work is amazing)!

debbief Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 5:26pm
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

I haven't used it, but I've read here that Angelfood4 uses it with everything from buttercream to ganache. I see that it's a slight variation, though. She doesn't put the buttercream/ganache on the board and then the cake on top as in the CC instructions. She covers the top with buttercream or ganache, then puts a board on it, and flips it.

http://sugarsweetcakesandtreats.blogspot.com/2010/05/covering-cake-in-ganache.html

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-forum-userprofile-639191.html

This is where I originally learned about the upside down method and I LOVE it!

AngelFood4 Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 7:02pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarFiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

<perk> Seriously? How do you keep the SMBC from sticking? I have a small cake that will have a non-crusting cream cheese icing this weekend, but I thought the upside down method only worked with crusting buttercreams. Please do tell, KoryAK (BTW, your work is amazing)!

Stick it into the fridge or even the freezer for half hour or so to harden, peel off the wax paper and wha-laa! Perfectly smooth and flat top!

momto2pottsy Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 7:20pm
post #9 of 14

I love this technique! Works perfectly everytime for me! I use IndyDebi's bc so I put it in the freezer to firm up as it's shortening based. What type of bc are you using? If you already put it down..sorry icon_smile.gif

KoryAK Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 10:18pm
post #10 of 14

Yeah, what AngelFood said! SMBC is all butter so when it's cold it's as hard as a rock (well, a rock made of cold butter). Chill, peel, done!

mcdonald Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 10:51pm
post #11 of 14

I have wondered if this ever worked for anyone... I am making my first topsy turvey and might give this a try.....

Thanks for the links.. great info!

SugarFiend Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 11:07pm
post #12 of 14

Excellent! thumbs_up.gif I'll be trying it tomorrow, so maybe I'll actually have a crisp top edge. Thank you!

GL79 Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 11:18pm
post #13 of 14

Wow, thanks for the links.

EvMarie Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 12:45am
post #14 of 14

I've been wanting to try this for a while. It seemed like a great idea. I always have trouble with the edge and level tops.

Thanks for the tutorial links!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%