For Those Who Use The Wasc Recipe....

Decorating By ThePurpleButterfly Updated 13 Nov 2010 , 3:28am by Sweet_Toof

ThePurpleButterfly Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 7:29pm
post #1 of 17

What variations have you done? Different flavors, additions or changes to the recipe? Can you carve well with this recipe? I need some details! icon_biggrin.gif

16 replies
Jess1019 Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 7:46pm
post #2 of 17

Once I forgot the oil and it was still great! I also used the WASC to carve the "caldron cake" in my photos. I thought it went well.

Mb20fan Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 8:05pm
post #3 of 17

I hope you don't mind, but I asked this question under another topic about the WASC recipe, but it went cold. I'll try again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb20fan

I have a question please...what's the difference in the use of egg whites as opposed to whole eggs? Is it just about the color (if wanting a really 'white' cake, no yolks)? Is there a big difference in the taste, texture or consistency? TIA


Image

SugarFiend Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 8:35pm
post #4 of 17

You can definitely carve with it. I've done it several times. For flavors, there is a HUGE thread regarding the variations you can do on the WASC. You can find it here: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-614554-gourmet.html+flavors

Make sure you bookmark it and have a few hours to go through it all - it's kind of mind-boggling.

Regarding eggs... I can't explain all the science behind it, but there is more to it than just color. The yolk does a lot for the texture. I have a difficult time making a decent cake without yolks, personally. I'm not sure how it works out with just whites in WASC though, because I've never tried it.

HTH!

silverdragon997 Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 8:49pm
post #5 of 17

I'll attempt to answer the egg whites vs. whole eggs question. Egg white are more drying agents, while egg yolks add moisture, if I remember correctly. There's an awesome book called Bakewise by Shirley Corriher that explains all sorts of stuff like this, and gives some recipes. Her Magnificent Moist Golden Cake is my most favorite cake I've ever made. It's super moist, and it uses 2 whole eggs plus 3 egg yolks in it. I'm sure different egg parts also have something to do with being binding agents and such as well, but I can't remember off the top of my head and don't have the Bakewise book in front of me at the moment.

Also, for the question about the WASC flavors - check the first page of this thread: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-614554.html There's an awesome list of flavors that start off with the WASC recipe as a base.

ThePurpleButterfly Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 12:31am
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarFiend

You can definitely carve with it. I've done it several times. For flavors, there is a HUGE thread regarding the variations you can do on the WASC. You can find it here: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-614554-gourmet.html+flavors

Make sure you bookmark it and have a few hours to go through it all - it's kind of mind-boggling.

Regarding eggs... I can't explain all the science behind it, but there is more to it than just color. The yolk does a lot for the texture. I have a difficult time making a decent cake without yolks, personally. I'm not sure how it works out with just whites in WASC though, because I've never tried it.

HTH!




340 pages!! *puts on the coffee* icon_eek.gif

Sweet_Toof Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 4:15am
post #7 of 17

how long does WASC keep for?

Sweet_Toof Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 12:10am
post #8 of 17

I've got the WASC cake baking as I type!
Got my fingers and all toes crossed that it turns out ok because the mix seemed awefully runny :S

Scarlets-Cakes Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 12:22am
post #9 of 17

I made one today. Turned out beautifully!

Sweet_Toof Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 12:25am
post #10 of 17

ok. its out now.. still hot but I had to try - tastes eggy :S
just soo concerned how it didn't rise? (I converted the recipe to Aussie language, maybe I've gone wrong somewhere) icon_sad.gif

Michelle84 Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 12:36am
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Toof

ok. its out now.. still hot but I had to try - tastes eggy :S
just soo concerned how it didn't rise? (I converted the recipe to Aussie language, maybe I've gone wrong somewhere) icon_sad.gif




I'm in Aussie and this is how I converted the recipe:

2 packets Betty Crocker vanilla cake mix
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 cup full cream milk
4 whole eggs
4 Tbs vegetable oil
300ml tub/carton of sour cream
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbs vanilla essence

Beat on medium for 2 min - it will be runny (you can add up to another 1/2 cup milk if you wish).

If you want to make an extremely decadent caramel version, add one tin of Nestle Caramel Top 'n' Fill - YUM!!!

(and then a good filling for that is mixing 1 tin of the Top 'n' Fill with 1 tub of Betty Crocker vanilla frosting - people go crazy for my caramel cake thumbs_up.gif )

tastyart Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 12:36am
post #12 of 17

When I make the WASC I always use pillsbury mix. If I use DH the result is not the same. I carve with it all the time. My lizard cake in my photos was a WASC. I also make mine with whole eggs. I use one whole egg for every 2 whites on the recipe. In other words if the recipe calls for 4 egg whites, I'll put in 2 eggs.

Sweet_Toof Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 12:44am
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Toof

ok. its out now.. still hot but I had to try - tastes eggy :S
just soo concerned how it didn't rise? (I converted the recipe to Aussie language, maybe I've gone wrong somewhere) icon_sad.gif



I'm in Aussie and this is how I converted the recipe:

2 packets Betty Crocker vanilla cake mix
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 cup full cream milk
4 whole eggs
4 Tbs vegetable oil
300ml tub/carton of sour cream
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbs vanilla essence

Beat on medium for 2 min - it will be runny (you can add up to another 1/2 cup milk if you wish).

If you want to make an extremely decadent caramel version, add one tin of Nestle Caramel Top 'n' Fill - YUM!!!

(and then a good filling for that is mixing 1 tin of the Top 'n' Fill with 1 tub of Betty Crocker vanilla frosting - people go crazy for my caramel cake thumbs_up.gif )




ok, so basically I did that, but in half batch, and also I used water not bilk.
I also used Green's Vanilla cake. Strange.. I'm really dissapointed icon_sad.gif

Michelle84 Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 12:56am
post #14 of 17

Greens Vanilla makes a nice cake too but extremely runny mix, as there's less in each packet compared to Betty Crocker. When I use the Greens mix I always layer the cake with white choc ganache - it's to die for!
I always use milk in place of water in recipes to add to the creamy-ness.
I don't know why yours didn't rise though? icon_sad.gif What size tin did you use?

SillyJacs Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 2:25am
post #15 of 17

I recommend you try kakeladi's "original" WASC. It doesn't contain oil, only sour cream for the fat and provides moisture. It rises beautifully and doesn't taste "eggy". This recipe is a thicker batter. It's my favorite recipe.

Sweet_Toof Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 3:26am
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle84

Greens Vanilla makes a nice cake too but extremely runny mix, as there's less in each packet compared to Betty Crocker. When I use the Greens mix I always layer the cake with white choc ganache - it's to die for!
I always use milk in place of water in recipes to add to the creamy-ness.
I don't know why yours didn't rise though? icon_sad.gif What size tin did you use?




I just read somewhere 1 box of cake mix equates to 510g... I think I was about 100g short, not to mention using Greens & also home-brand Coles sour cream, water as opposed to milk... maybe it was a recipe for disaster icon_smile.gif
I used a 9" filled 3/4 full and then put what ever was left in 6"... but they were both way too short.
I used plain flour, should I have been using self-raising?

I think its worth me trying again using milk & Betty Crocker. Now I have to find the motivation somewhere... Usually I would throw the recipe in the bin but I've heard rave reviews and I mustn't give up!

Sweet_Toof Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 3:28am
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyJacs

I recommend you try kakeladi's "original" WASC. It doesn't contain oil, only sour cream for the fat and provides moisture. It rises beautifully and doesn't taste "eggy". This recipe is a thicker batter. It's my favorite recipe.





Thanks for that. I used denise2434 purely because of the ratings. http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2322/white-almond-sour-cream-cake-wasc
I must try kakeladi's too - I'm pretty sure I did print that out and put in my to-do pile!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%