Cupcake Pricing

Baking By kacor13 Updated 11 Nov 2010 , 7:30pm by Corrie76

kacor13  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kacor13 Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 6:34pm
post #1 of 6

I just recently started baking and selling my goods. Today I got an order for 150 cupcakes but I have no idea how much to charge. Any ideas?

5 replies
 veronica970206  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veronica970206 Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 6:43pm
post #2 of 6

Figure out how much it cost to make your batter & Icing, then divide that by however many you got from the batch of cake batter & then add x amount for your time decorating, etc. Thats what I do icon_smile.gif 1 time I bought a $3 standard size cupcake from a Bakery in Downtown Chicago, yeeeaaah, never again, it was the dryest & most bland cupcake I had in my life...I hope my opinion helped you icon_smile.gif

Corrie76  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corrie76 Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 6:46pm
post #3 of 6

Well, you'll get a variety of answers on this one, I personally charge 2.00 per decorated cupcake so then I would charge 300.00, If they wanted nothing but a swirl of icing on top with no decoration than I would charge 225.00 (1.50 per cupcake) But really it depends on where you live and many other factors as well.

kacor13  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kacor13 Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 7:03pm
post #4 of 6

Ok thanks ladies. I don't know how much it matters but I live in San Diego, CA.

leily  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 7:17pm
post #5 of 6

location definitely plays a key role as your cost are going to be higher just to produce the same thing than mine are in iowa.

I charge the same per cupcake as i do per serving of cake. It is a little less than 8 cubic inches like you get in a cake serving, however i have more labor to handle each one individually so in the end I find it balances out.

Corrie76  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corrie76 Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 7:30pm
post #6 of 6

Yeah, you can totally charge more than me leily, I'm in middle-of-nowhere WY, and 2.00/cupcake is pretty darn pricey out here - you on the other hand should charge at least 3.00,if not more, in SanDiego. Call other custom cake shops in town and find out what they are charging.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%