Yet Another Red Velvet Cake Question

Baking By sarascakecreations Updated 17 Nov 2010 , 8:52pm by FromScratchSF

sarascakecreations Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 5:31pm
post #1 of 5

Hello,

Ok so I have a few questions...

Firstly I baked cake man raven's recipe and like it quite a bit, I also did something I saw on tv (substitue white vinegar for apple cider vinegar) and it tasted great! A nice little zing to it!

Ok so 1) My color comes out great in the center but at the edges (the cupcake liners) it comes out brown??? I've gone to bakeries and their RV cupcakes are red right to the liner how the heck do they do that???

2) I am happy with my red color but is there any way to get it stronger? I mean it's red but the tops always look pink.

3) I find that no matter what I do the inside also doesn't come out as moist as a bakeries would... should I bake it at a lesser temp for a longer time?

Sorry I know I am comparing my home oven to a bakery oven just wanted to see if there were any fixes for my questions??

Thanks

4 replies
AmysCakesNCandies Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 5:53pm
post #2 of 5

Not familiar with the recipe you are using but the one I use includes white vinegar mixed with baking soda. It is super tender and super bright red. For a typical 2 8" round recipe in uses red food color mixed with cocoa pwd & 1 cup of buttermilk.
My red velvet ingredients (2 8" rounds)
2 c sugar
1/2 lb butter
2 eggs
2tbsp cocoa
2 oz red food color
2 1/2 c flour
1 tsp salt
1 c buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp white vinegar

sarascakecreations Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 4:24am
post #3 of 5

How long do you bake your cake for? And at what temperature?

How about cupcakes how long for? And what temperature?

I compared recipes.....

and looks like your has 1/2c more sugar, your has 1/2 tsp less baking soda, yours has more vinegar, and yours has 1 more tbsp of cocoa powder.... also the recipe i tried had vegetable oil in it but I noticed yours doesn't???

thanks for the help!

AmysCakesNCandies Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 12:37pm
post #4 of 5

I bake at 350, couldnt say 100% on time because I bake by sight & touch rather than time but its probably around 25 min for cake and 12 ish for cupcakes.

Here are the steps:
Cream Sugar & butter together, add eggs & vanilla. Mix coco and food color together (it will make a paste) & add to mixer, mix well. combine flour & salt. Add to mixture alternating with buttermilk mix thouroughly. combine vinregar & baking soda add to mix while its still foaming- mix in carefully, do not overwork it.

hope you enjoy it!

FromScratchSF Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 8:52pm
post #5 of 5

If you have too much cocoa it will react with the red and over-power it, turning your cake brown. Cocoa does tend to pack down like flour, so I always whisk and/or sift my cocoa before I measure to break up any lumps.

I use Dutch processed cocoa, regular cocoa turns my cake brown like you've described. E. Guittard's Cocoa Rouge powder even has the added benefit of having a natural red tint so I can use less coloring.

I use an old family recipe, but Martha Stewart's red velvet is really close to mine, so I suggest trying it (it's on her website). It's an oil-based recipe, super easy to make and has the right flavor. I also found that my cake gets more red if I cream the eggs and sugar together, then slowly add the oil. The more dissolved the sugar, the more red coloring the cake picks up in baking.

Last tip - use Wilton's no-taste red or Americolor Red for your coloring, not the liquid stuff. Keep in mind that stuff is strong, and if you use too much you will dye the colons of those who eat your cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%