Pricing

Decorating By dreamdelights Updated 12 Nov 2010 , 2:37pm by Manderly42

dreamdelights Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 3:52pm
post #1 of 3

How much would you charge for a basketball cake frosted in buttercream with fondant accents.

2 replies
cakes22 Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 2:16pm
post #2 of 3

You haven't gotten any replies , so I'll try to help you out a bit.
First, what size is it? 9x11? 9x13?? ?????
How many layers?
How much does it cost you for supplies?
How long does it take you to make a cake from start to finish? How long to make the accent pieces?
What are the price ranges for similar cakes in your area?
What's minimum wage in your area?
How many people are you serving ?

Do you have a picture of the cake?

It's hard to say you should charge xxxx amount without knowing the above details.
icon_smile.gif
HTH

Manderly42 Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 2:37pm
post #3 of 3

I'm finding that a lot of bakeries charge per serving. Now the price per serving depends on the cake - whether it is buttercream or fondant, whether it is a sheet cake or carved/specialty (or if it requires a special/shaped pan) what kind of filling you use (seasonal fruits can vary in price, as can some chocolate products.)

I would say, for the most basic sheet cake with buttercream frosting and piped decorations - $3.50 / $4 per serving

Add 50¢ / $1 extra for fondant covered cakes.

For 3D/carved/specialty cakes - the range can be between $6 & $10 per serving depending on the level of intricacy involved, and how labor intensive it is.

With all of that said, it also depends on your location, and other bakeries near you. You don't want to charge too much or too little. I suggest calling or visiting a few bakeries in your area, maybe bring a picture of a cake and pretend you're pricing it out for your kid's birthday and see what they charge.

HTH!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%