Does This Annoy Anyone Else..i Find It Insulting....

Lounge By Kiddiekakes Updated 15 Nov 2010 , 9:31pm by diamonds-and-rust

Kiddiekakes Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 2:13pm
post #1 of 65

The other day I was out and about and was talking to this lady and we got on the subject about cakes..So I told her I had a business and went out of my way to get her a business card from my purse and handed it to her...she took one look at it...for maybe 5 seconds and handed it back to me...I mean WTF...I was giving it to you in hopes you would keep it and maybe order a cake one day..I was really offended.. icon_eek.gif I would never do that in front of someone who handed me a card.If I am not interested I toss the card later at home but not in front of them. icon_confused.gif '


Sorry just a rant...I thought it was rude!

64 replies
cakes22 Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 2:30pm
post #2 of 65

That is rude, like a slap in the face. Wow, what a biotch!
Maybe it's a good thing she gave it back, do u really want to deal someone who is blatenly rude ?

jammjenks Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 2:53pm
post #3 of 65

Maybe she thought you were just proving to her that you had a business. Some people are that clueless to think you weren't intending for her to keep it, but to only look at it.

Don't let something like that offend you.

Now, if she'd taken a bite of your cake and spit it out in front of you..then yeah. I've actually had that happen at a show once. icon_rolleyes.gif

Bluehue Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 2:54pm
post #4 of 65

Even a *thank you but no thank you* would have been polite.

Did she say anything - or was it just left at that and she walked away?
Just view it as poor manners on her behalf.

Don't feel insulted - look apon it that she doesn't know a good thing when its handed to her.

You know your own selfworth - and that is what matters. thumbs_up.gif

Bluehue

Spuddysmom Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 3:10pm
post #5 of 65

Ok, maybe an odd take on this, but I have known some people who do stuff like that because they think they are doing you a favor and saving you money... they saw the info, will remember your name and don't want you to "waste" your card.... I know, it's a big stretch, but it happens. It's the same people who wash and reuse the little plastic sandwich baggies, etc.

Bluehue Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 3:18pm
post #6 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuddysmom

Ok, maybe an odd take on this, but I have known some people who do stuff like that because they think they are doing you a favor and saving you money... they saw the info, will remember your name and don't want you to "waste" your card.... I know, it's a big stretch, but it happens. It's the same people who wash and reuse the little plastic sandwich baggies, etc.




Or like the lady down the road who uses her t/bags 3 times - true story

Bluehue icon_lol.gif

cakes22 Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 3:26pm
post #7 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuddysmom

Ok, maybe an odd take on this, but I have known some people who do stuff like that because they think they are doing you a favor and saving you money... they saw the info, will remember your name and don't want you to "waste" your card.... I know, it's a big stretch, but it happens. It's the same people who wash and reuse the little plastic sandwich baggies, etc.



Or like the lady down the road who uses her t/bags 3 times - true story

Bluehue icon_lol.gif





Aren't teabags supposed to be used over? I thought I read on a package that one teabag makes 2 cups ???

Lcubed82 Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 3:44pm
post #8 of 65

OK, call me odd... I always use tea bags twice because I don't like strong tea! I used to wash gallon ziplock bags and the throw-away icing bags because it just seemed wasteful to throw them away! I mean, maybe the bag only had some crumbs in it! It still feels bad, but I do throw them away now, after listening to my family for years moan about the bags drying everywhere!

I agree tho, a polite "thanks for the info, here's your card back to give someone else" would be nice!

Minstrelmiss Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 3:55pm
post #9 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuddysmom

Ok, maybe an odd take on this, but I have known some people who do stuff like that because they think they are doing you a favor and saving you money... they saw the info, will remember your name and don't want you to "waste" your card.... I know, it's a big stretch, but it happens. It's the same people who wash and reuse the little plastic sandwich baggies, etc.




I paid too much money for my cards and give them out only to truely interested people. I'm with others that in her less than poliet way, maybe she was trying to save you a little.

-K8memphis Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 3:56pm
post #10 of 65

I mean sure you can make two cups with one tea bag but not at different times. Generally we do not use coffee gounds twice over. Like if you use coffee for a 16 ounce yield and you use 8 ounces of water you don't use the grounds again later for another cup.

you guys punking me?

cakes22 Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 4:08pm
post #11 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis

I mean sure you can make two cups with one tea bag but not at different times. Generally we do not use coffee gounds twice over. Like if you use coffee for a 16 ounce yield and you use 8 ounces of water you don't use the grounds again later for another cup.

you guys punking me?




I think coffee is different, jmo.
But with a teabag, you can steep the tea , then reuse the teabag later. Maybe a weaker cup of tea, but it can be done.

http://askville.amazon.com/times-tea-bag/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=8222922

Minstrelmiss Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 4:08pm
post #12 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis

I mean sure you can make two cups with one tea bag but not at different times. Generally we do not use coffee gounds twice over. Like if you use coffee for a 16 ounce yield and you use 8 ounces of water you don't use the grounds again later for another cup.

you guys punking me?




*sheepishly* I often reuse the late morning tea bag for early afternoon tea...

11cupcakes Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 4:19pm
post #13 of 65

That sure is rude, something is wrong with her.

madgeowens Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 4:20pm
post #14 of 65

lol this conversation is cracking me up.........really haha...however, let me jump in here...
my mum was from England(makes her a tea expert) she would "brew" a cup of tea,,,,then brew another with the same tea bag + another lol.....it would depend on your personal preference....I hate tea haha, go figure.

I am sorry, but if the worse thing to ever happen to you is someone returns your business card, I would be grateful. I agree she was reading it and returning it, not wanting to keep "your card"........I don't think she was trying to be insulting. Of course if you KNOW her you would KNOW, right?
Now I hope this was not offensive icon_smile.gif

FloraFlora Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 4:23pm
post #15 of 65

K8memphis, I disagree with you on tea bags.
Tea and coffee are different. Coffee needs to be at certain strength. However tea can be had any many different level of strength, depending on your own liking. Tea leaves are meant to be brewed over a few times. Some good quality tea leaves can have at least 7 times of brewing.
Now, tea bags are usually not made with the best quality leaves though. And they are chopped up into small pieces. So they brew faster, but less times.
The proper way of brewing tea is not to let the tea leaves / tea bag to sit in the hot water for an extended period of time. You take it out after 1 or 2 minutes, and you can repeat it again later.

edit to add: most common mistake of brewing tea is to use boiling water. That actually burns the tea leaves and make it bitter. You need to let the boiling water cool down for a minute or so, then you'll get a nice tasting pot of tea.

Ruth0209 Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 4:38pm
post #16 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcubed82

OK, call me odd... I always use tea bags twice because I don't like strong tea! I used to wash gallon ziplock bags and the throw-away icing bags because it just seemed wasteful to throw them away! I mean, maybe the bag only had some crumbs in it! It still feels bad, but I do throw them away now, after listening to my family for years moan about the bags drying everywhere!

I agree tho, a polite "thanks for the info, here's your card back to give someone else" would be nice!




I always use teabags twice. There's nothing gross about that.

And Icubed82, I also use big ziplocks over if they haven't had anything wet in them. I've washed out a lot of bags in my life. First, they're expensive and secondly, there's no reason to fill up the landfills with them any more than necessary. We throw WAY too much stuff away anymore. When our great-grandchildren need to build their houses on top of landfills I'm sure they won't be thanking us.

As far as the business card, I wouldn't worry about it. She may have just known that she was never going to order a cake from you, so why take the card? I learned long ago to not take that kind of thing personally from strangers. I just spent an hour with a bride on a consultation and tasting, thought we bonded and that she was going to book, then she called me the next day and said she was "going another way." Go figure. I thought I had that one in the bag, but apparently not. I didn't even get to send her a proposed contract. You just move on to the next.

Onome Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 4:47pm
post #17 of 65

About the tea bags... oh my gosh. Maybe I am too young, but I cannot imagine using tea bags more than once. Where would I dry them? I think it sounds unhygienic to me. Nevertheless, I have learned something new today. Good to know.

About the card- I would not even have cared. She is not interested and I guess did not bother to go through the motions of keeping a card she did not want. I would not call it rude. I would just chalk it up to her being not interested. There will be many great people interested in your business so one lady who returns your card is probably not the client you want.

BCo Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 4:55pm
post #18 of 65

I think I would have been taken aback by that too but like everyone else said I guess that's not as bad as someone spitting your cake out in front of you! Oh my, I couldn't imagine!!

I don't reuse my teabags either b/c I like a strong cup of tea, I actually keep my teabag in my mug the whole time I'm drinking it and sometimes if I don't drink it all (if I get distracted or have to leave it for some reason) I have been known to reheat that same cup of tea hours later...teabag still in cup!! icon_smile.gif

floral1210 Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 5:03pm
post #19 of 65

Just weighing in here. RUTH0209...I am total agreement on everything you said! I am not a tea drinker, but why not use the bag more than once? (I can't at all see how it could be unhygienic). Too much stuff in landfills is right...adding plastic bags that are almost new is criminal. Business cards are meant for one who intends to use it one day. If you know you won't, why take it?

deMuralist Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 5:33pm
post #20 of 65

I use loose leaf tea and compost the leaves-less in the landfill.

I have had people hand back business cards for a variety of reasons, never had one do it without comment though.

Bluehue Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 5:39pm
post #21 of 65

sorry about starting the tea bag debate icon_redface.gif


It just icon_eek.gif me when i saw her pick it up off the bench - give it a shake (looked like it had been dead for a few hours) - pop it in a cup - and then turn and say to me - cup of tea dear icon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gif

Hmmmm, no might you have coffee - lollllllllllllllllllll

My point being - what we do in our own home amongst family is one thing -but we shouldn't do it when guests arrive - IYKWIM

Bluehue.

No K8 - i an't punk'n you - lollllllllllll


-

Kiddiekakes Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 6:01pm
post #22 of 65

Ha!Ha! How did tea get into this..LOL

I guess I felt insulted because it looked like she wasn't interested and couldn't even give it the time of day and to me..even if you aren't interested which I am not alot too...I take the card or sheet of paper (that a Mom handed me yesterday to a open house for her home Jewelry business...which I have no ineterst in attending but took it politely anyways)...take it home and discard it...

anyway..no biggie...just thought it was odd and rude...


Now onto another cake!!! icon_smile.gif

Ruth0209 Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 9:03pm
post #23 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onome

About the tea bags... oh my gosh. Maybe I am too young, but I cannot imagine using tea bags more than once. Where would I dry them? I think it sounds unhygienic to me. Nevertheless, I have learned something new today. Good to know.

About the card- I would not even have cared. She is not interested and I guess did not bother to go through the motions of keeping a card she did not want. I would not call it rude. I would just chalk it up to her being not interested. There will be many great people interested in your business so one lady who returns your card is probably not the client you want.




I don't know how old you are, but if you're a 20-something born in the U.S., you've been bombarded all your life with TV commercials for all kinds of disinfectants that try to convince you that germs in your toilet are very likely to kill you in your sleep, and that you need to use antibacterial soap to wash your hands or you're likely to be killed by one of billions of errant germs. Guess what? It's a lie. It's all marketing.

People have lived for many, many decades around germs and they haven't killed us. In fact, they make our immune systems stronger. Doctors are actually concerned these days that children are being so overly protected from normal environmental germs that they are not building any resistance to them. When they go to school they're sick as dogs because they've never built the antibodies they need. Not to mention the overuse of antibiotics that is making all kinds of pathogens stronger. It's why we're getting superbugs that can't be treated with antibiotics.

Believe me, a teabag left on the counter overnight will never hurt you.

adventuregal Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 9:15pm
post #24 of 65

KiddieKakes: That just happened to me and I was peeved too! Or moreso hurt. I was doing a showing at a local festival and I had stepped away from my area to pass out cards. Well about 10 minutes later a woman comes back to my table and hands me my card and says "heres your card back." and walks away. I too usually just toss something later if I'm not interested, but I would never go out of my way to give a card back. I found it weird, but it shouldn't be surprising. Some people are really weird icon_lol.gif

tavyheather Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 10:33pm
post #25 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11cupcakes

That sure is rude, something is wrong with her.





LOLOLOLOL...I'm sensing sarcasm......right? RIGHT?!! ????

anyway I know there are people like me, possibly this lady is like me. I'm overly considerate...I totally over-think things. When ppl hand me business cards I have to remember to force myself to take them...b/c I'm thinking they know me, and I'd be wasting their card if I took it. Even if I didn't know them I'd feel like I can memorize this, and I'll leave it/give it back so someone more in need of this service can have it.

Some people (like me) don't know some of the morays of society. Also...in San Diego we're way more laid-back and that really wouldn't bother me. Maybe she's from CA icon_wink.gif

costumeczar Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 11:47pm
post #26 of 65

I reuse my chai tea teabags, because those things are freakin' expensive! But I like strong tea, so I use two teabags once, then combine the two used ones for the third cup. And I'm with Ruth on the ziplock bags, the only ones I throw out are torn or had raw meat in them.

And that woman was strange to hand your card back, but don't take it personally, maybe she's just trying to conserve paper icon_rolleyes.gif

moreCakePlz Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 2:54am
post #27 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bturpin



I don't reuse my teabags either b/c I like a strong cup of tea, I actually keep my teabag in my mug the whole time I'm drinking it and sometimes if I don't drink it all (if I get distracted or have to leave it for some reason) I have been known to reheat that same cup of tea hours later...teabag still in cup!! icon_smile.gif




I do the exact same thing. Two tea bags in a cup. If it gets cold before I finish drinking it, it goes back in the microwave to reheat, tea bag and all.

artscallion Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 3:18am
post #28 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloraFlora



edit to add: most common mistake of brewing tea is to use boiling water. That actually burns the tea leaves and make it bitter. You need to let the boiling water cool down for a minute or so, then you'll get a nice tasting pot of tea.




Different types of tea work best at different temperatures. Herbal, Rooibos and Mate teas do need water that is just at the boiling point (212°). Green and white teas work best with 175° water. Black and oolong teas are best with 195° water.

One really important point to prevent bitterness in tea is how long you steep it. Herbal, Rooibos and Mate teas should be steeped for 5-6 minutes. White tea should only be steeped for 4-5 minutes. Black and oolong teas can go for 3-4 minutes. And green tea should only be steeped for 1-2 minutes.

Yes I'm a tea fanatic and know too much about it. I use loose tea, not bags. So I always toss it once it's been used in a cup or pot. But if it's workin' for ya, I say keep doin' it. I know my grandma reused tea bags all the time.

G_Cakes Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 3:34am
post #29 of 65

I resuse my teabags all the time, usually 2-3 cups from one bag.

After I get a couple of well used bags I use them again after a quick freeze to get rid of the puffiness in my eyes LOL...

Karen421 Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 12:00pm
post #30 of 65

The card thing would have taken me aback also! Her motives might have been innocent, but I would have thought it rude also!

Didn't think I would see a serious thread about tea! My kind of thread!

I will drink any kind of tea for I too am a tea fanatic - guess it came from being raised by a very proper English Grandmother. (artscallion you sound like her!!) I totally agree a tea bag can be used twice! I found a small pot that holds either loose or bagged tea, and it makes 2 cups, so I solved my tea bag problem, by steeping 2 cups at once! (I really drink a lot of hot tea!) thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%