Will A Strip Of Fondant Stick To Bc Around The Edge Of Cake?

Decorating By borerunner42 Updated 12 Nov 2010 , 4:58am by borerunner42

borerunner42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
borerunner42 Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 1:26pm
post #1 of 8

Hello.
I have a boys castle cake to make this weekend. I am not very experienced with Fondant yet at all! My plan was to ice it in BC then add a few Fondant details. For instance, a strip of Fondant with the square "notches" along the top edges of the cake & towers to give it that Medieval look. I am wondering if that would stay put or just end up sliding down the BC cake? Is there a way to secure it, like with gum glue? Or would that work on top of BC? Any advice about this or castle cakes would be so appreciated!

7 replies
tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 1:42pm
post #2 of 8

Absolutely it will. I make buttercream cake with fondant accents all of the time. I just put a little water on the fondant piece and stick it on. Gum glue or even buttercream will work also.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 1:49pm
post #3 of 8

Yep just like tracycakes said, I do buttercream cakes with fondant accents ALL the time. Enjoy!!!! You can add circles and stripes that way also , just like a border.

Mb20fan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mb20fan Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 2:01pm
post #4 of 8

Never tried applying fondant to BC with just water, I've always used candy melts or melted chocolate. I may have to try water as that would be way easier.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 4:10pm
post #5 of 8

Water for me too. The fondant is so high in sugar that the water just makes it sticky.

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 4:24pm
post #6 of 8

I do that all the time too since most of my customers do not like fondant. Water works well but don't use too much ESP with black it will run down the side. The water that is.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 4:43pm
post #7 of 8

I usually use a dab of water to add my fondant accents. Sometimes I use a little buttercream or gel icing, but generally just water. Don't use too much or the color will bleed.

Your pieces can't be TOO heavy or they will slide down. I did fondant circles that were three circles on top of each other in smaller and smaller sizes and they were heavy. I put them on some very soft BC and they all ended up at the bottom of the cake! But that's the only time that's happened.

borerunner42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
borerunner42 Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 4:58am
post #8 of 8

Ok! Thank you all for your answers. I feel so much more prepared now!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%