Have You Ever Envied Someone Else's Recipe?

Decorating By Mb20fan Updated 11 Nov 2010 , 4:53pm by Karen421

Mb20fan Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 12:24pm
post #1 of 10

I'm a WASCer and have happy cake eaters (who love the 'wedding bouqet' flavoring). Between my family and co-workers, there's a squabble over who will get the next batch of 'cake tops' whenever they know I have baking to do. But me...personally...I'm SICK of it all. Sick of the taste and the smell - just because I'm around it too often. Ever since I started this lil hobby - it's turned me off from cake and I used to LOVE having a nice piece of cake every now and then. I remember I used to LOVE knowing there was a wedding to go to and looking forward to the cake. LOVE wedding cake. However lately, I just don't care to eat cake anymore - especially mine...Lol. I think that's got to be common - after having to make something so much you just get bored with it. Now-a-days, I pass on cake every chance I get.

However...every month at my office, we get birthday cakes to celebrate all the birthdays for the month. The birthday people usually agree to one kind, style or flavor OR we end up with a separate cake for each person's liking. They range from all kinds - regular cake, cookie cake or ice cream cakes (yuk) and I pass on eating them probably 8 times out of 10 (depends on my mood icon_wink.gif ). Well consistently for the last 3-4 years, the January cake (my bday month that I share with 4 others) has always been the same - one big cake from a local confectionary bakery and IMO, it's to die for!!! I have to say that by far, it's like my FAV cake ever and the other January bday gals agree.

Well last weekend, I went to a friend's surprise party. My friend asked if I would make the cake for her husband, but I was supposed to go out of town and miss the party. Plans changed on Friday and I was able to go to the party afterall on Saturday afternoon, but told her I still wasn't able to do the cake. She ended up calling on a lady who used to work at a bakery until she moved and opened up her own business. Now I have to admit, the decorating of this cake was atrocious -just plain sloppy. So when I saw this cake on the table from afar, I wasn't impressed. But...as soon as I got close...OMG-I could just SMELL the greatness. I have been turning my nose up at cakes lately and after smelling this one, I could not wait to get a taste. And it tasted as good as it smelled. In fact, when I first smelled it, I asked it if was from that bakery I mentioned earlier (that we get our bday cakes from) because it was so similar to me. I enjoyed that cake and even asked to take a slab home with me. She had way more than she needed (like 30 people no-showed to the party) so I kind of made it seem I was doing HER a favor by taking the cake off of her hands...Lol. In reality, I wanted to take more home. I like to call it...RESEARCH. icon_biggrin.gif
And so...here is the question (if you've made it this far)...have you ever tasted someone else's cake and envied it so much that you would want to use that same recipe? I wish I had the talent of tasting something and figuring out what the ingredients are. I mean, I would LOVE to have either one of those recipes to use - to me, they were just that good. Hmmm...I'm already counting the days till my January cake. icon_razz.gif

9 replies
-K8memphis Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 1:01pm
post #2 of 10

Yes. sure I've wanted the recipes of other cakes I've eaten. But more importantly I think is that I too used to use that cream bouquet stuff--kind of a citrusy sweetifying cake flavoring substance --dude, no offense to anyone but I totally hit the wall with that stuff.

Can not freaking deal with it, personally. Can't take the smell even--like I'm pregnant can't take the smell--And I mean I haven't used it in more than twenty years I'm sure.

And just to try & balance this out--I was working a bridal show & my boss used almond in all her icing--we had one lady literally spit it out on the spot--funny now--slightly embarassing at the time with prospects all around--so I mean that just to say that these things happen and no offense to anyone using almond or cream bouquet.

I'm not pulling anyone's chain I'm just identifying with you.

tracycakes Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 1:41pm
post #3 of 10

I rarely eat cake now. I will taste when I have to but rarely do I eat a piece of cake anymore. But there is one thing I discovered that I am in LOVE with now, pineapple curd. I had a request for it for a wedding cake. So, I found some recipes, played around with it and OMG, it is so good. I could eat a bowl of it.

Regarding almond and creme bouquet, I agree, it's easy to get too much. I only use 1/2 the almond called for in the recipe because I like a hint of almond, I don't like to be slapped in the face with it.

daltonam Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 1:56pm
post #4 of 10

I haven't envied anyone else's recipe YET, but I also only get to 'eat' my own (or grocery store cakes) according to who's party it is. I want so much to having a tasting party (or something of the sort) to try different recipes & get opinions on them. I do get what you mean & SADLY when I'm at someone's party that knows a bake/decorate & they didn't get a cake from me, I FEEL this obligation the eat the cake & ewww gross sometimes!! (I don't want them to think I'm upset or snotty b/c they didn't get it from me)

As to CB or almond, GROSS, LOL!!! I had a friend's aunt (decorates cakes too at a local grocery store) she could taste to almond extract in my BC & awww (like I'm a kid) she use to use it too when she first started. OMG, it was ALL I could do to just smile, there isn't even in almond in my cabinet, poor lady didn't have a clue.

Mb20fan Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 1:59pm
post #5 of 10

Not sure if cream bouquet is the same as "wedding bouquet" (made and bottled locally) but I can say that this stuff is pretty potent and can easily be overdone. But when done in moderation, it's a nice subtle flavor.

-K8memphis Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 2:54pm
post #6 of 10

In fact it was a four layer coconut (white) cake made by a chef from a place downtown here--known mostly for it's bar rather than the food but boy they hit it magically right with that cake and the food there was chichi & good but it was a 'good times' type place.

The cake was absolutely magnificent. So fresh the cake crust still had a bit of crunch but just pleasantly. Cake was soft & moist, perfectly textured--icing was not too sweet, smooth--it was a perfect cake to me. One of those 'moments.'

Spuddysmom Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 3:15pm
post #7 of 10

I haven't until today - now I want a big ol' slice of that cake! How far do they deliver?

-K8memphis Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 3:53pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuddysmom

I haven't until today - now I want a big ol' slice of that cake! How far do they deliver?

icon_lol.gif ahhh sweet memories!

Cocobongo Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 4:20pm
post #9 of 10

I have buttercream envy. I went on a course ages ago and we tried samples of their cakes and the buttercream was to die for. We were given the recipe (it was exactly the same as mine) so I can only assume it was either the butter they used or the vanilla. It was just lovely, and I too, rarely eat cake. The vanilla was in a squirty bottle so no way of knowing the make. How annoying lol.

Karen421 Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 4:53pm
post #10 of 10

I am convinced, that sometimes, some people hold back little, subtle but important details, so the recipe isnât quite as good as the original. Who knows? icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%