How Do Remove A Tier In Order To Cut It?

Decorating By zespri Updated 12 Nov 2010 , 6:12pm by indydebi

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 8:32am
post #1 of 6

Hiya

How do you remove a tier from a cake so you can cut it? How do you get it off without damaging either that tier or the one below?

5 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 8:40am
post #2 of 6

slide the spatual under the cardboard. Lift spatula until you can get your hand under it. Lift tier off. cut. Easy peasy! thumbs_up.gif

Dont' worry too much about what it looks like or if a border is smooshed. Once a cake is in cutting stage, no one cares what it looks like, they only care what it tastes like. At weddings, I always made sure the photographer was done with his photos before I started cutting. Then it was Nellie-bar-the-door! and I started clearing the table of all decors, taking the cake apart, spreading plates out, and just getting to work! thumbs_up.gif

zespri Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 8:29am
post #3 of 6

Thank you for the reply!

Just a regular spatula that you'd use to flip an egg? So both hands go underneath the tier?

Is it common for the cake decorator to hang about to cut the cake?

I'm doing my research because I'm building up to make my first tier cake, very nervous! I was surprised to find the tier just 'sits' on top of the bottom tier, I always thought the dowels went through both the top and bottom. I guess they must be transported seperately? Does that mean any piping around the edges is done at the scene?

indydebi Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 9:28am
post #4 of 6

No, not a pancake turner or an egg turner. A spatula. The long knife you ice a cake with. (but I'm with ya! I grew up with a mom who asked for a spatula and we didnt' know if she meant the egg turner or the rubber scraper!)

I would say it is NOT common the for cake lady to stay and cut the cake unless (1) she has priced that as part of her service (2) the bride has paid her an extra fee for her time and service. If you do cut the cake, be sure to check the link in my signature on how to cut a wedding cake.

Cakes do not need transported separately, but they can be. I transported mine separately for years and added the borders at the venue after I assembled the cake. But I've also transported cakes fully assembled.

I'm at work so I dont' have access to my saved files, but I will ask JanH, our resident librarian, if she will pop in there with some links and threads that will help you with cake assembly.

Since this is your first one, may I ask is it a family event or yoru first paid wedding?

zespri Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 6:02pm
post #5 of 6

oic! lol, OK no egg-flips, got it.

It's just for a family event, my cousin's 21st birthday. Luckily there will be lots of young drunk people who wouldn't know a well cut cake if it smooshed them in the face, so a good place to practice! I certainly will be there to cut it, was just wondering if it was the norm at weddings... soaking it all up for future reference.

Checking out the link on cutting now, thank you very much!

indydebi Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 6:12pm
post #6 of 6

Oh family events are great places to practice! Be sure to let us know how it all goes!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%