From Scratch Or Box Mix?

Decorating By ThePurpleButterfly Updated 13 Nov 2010 , 2:38am by steffiessweet_sin_sations

jqorso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jqorso Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 3:41pm
post #31 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiawanna02

I bake strictly from scratch...I believe that anyone can buy a box mix and bake it up.

To be fair, I've seen lots of cakes from mixes that didn't turn out from students I've taught.

I can never figure out why icon_confused.gif , maybe I'll make sure they bake them on Tuesdays like that study. icon_wink.gif

ThePurpleButterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThePurpleButterfly Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 5:22pm
post #32 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiawanna02

I bake strictly from scratch...I believe that anyone can buy a box mix and bake it up. Now I agree box cakes are consistent and I dont noch any who uses them as an ingredient...just my personal belief. Hey many high end bakery uses mixes. I just like the fact i can say that i bake from scratch.

I've made all my cakes and cupcakes from scratch and never had any variations in outcome yet. I use the Cake Bible's butter cake recipes. I always make the BC from scratch and it's divine. I love to be able to say I make them from scratch. I get huge compliments on my cakes in regards to taste, so maybe I need to quit fishing for something easier.

Another question.... if you have to dr up the box mixes so much, then why not just make from scratch? icon_confused.gif

I'm still a newb yet. I'm not trying to stir controversy here. I know that people will always have their preferences, but I basically was wanting to know why they like either way. I want to experiment but I'd hate to waste my time and money on a way that may turn out to be inferior. I'm not saying it will be..... just a worry I have. My DH has been out of work since Feb, so our funds are super low at this point. Thanks so much for all the jokes and advice thus far!! Please keep them coming.

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 5:35pm
post #33 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo2222

It is scientifically proven that box mixes taste 34% better than scratch cakes

I hear Congress is considering a constitutional amendment based on this study. icon_wink.gif

All4Show Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
All4Show Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 5:44pm
post #34 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piece_acake

I'm going to pull a Kanye West and say that George Bush hates scratch cakes icon_biggrin.gif

Lol, now that's some funny stuff right there!! I'm channeling Larry the Cable guy.

ThePurpleButterfly Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 5:44pm
post #35 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeythings1961

Quote:

I hear Congress is considering a constitutional amendment based on this study. icon_wink.gif

Congress makes amendments based on studies?? icon_lol.gif

Corrie76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corrie76 Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 6:26pm
post #36 of 57

go here to read this article all about this particular issue, brings up many great points.

http://www.gourmet.com/magazine/2000s/2002/08/in_the_mix

Corrie76 Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 6:37pm
post #37 of 57

In case noone wants to read the article....here is some scientific results from a 195o's home ec class:

"In 1951, a study at Michigan State University (MSU) comparing cake-mix cakes with traditional ones noted that apart from measuring out the ingredients, similar work was required for both kinds of cake. A later MSU study pinpointed the time saved at exactly 13 minutes and 2 seconds. Other studies (these projects were hugely popular in college home-ec classes) tended to find that cakes baked the old-fashioned way were more "palatable" than the ones that came from a box."

ThePurpleButterfly Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 7:05pm
post #38 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadameRaz

go here to read this article all about this particular issue, brings up many great points.

http://www.gourmet.com/magazine/2000s/2002/08/in_the_mix

Interesting.

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 9:28pm
post #39 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePurpleButterfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeythings1961

Quote:

Congress makes amendments based on studies?? icon_lol.gif

Only in matters of great importance like cakeology!! icon_lol.gif

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 11:36pm
post #40 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piece_acake

I'm going to pull a Kanye West and say that George Bush hates scratch cakes icon_biggrin.gif

bwahahahahahaahah

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 12:01am
post #41 of 57

I've always baked from scratch, not a fan of box mixes. I will say this though: a scratch cake is only as good as the recipe you used. Bad recipe = bad cake. It also makes a big difference if you know when to beat well and when not to...even the best recipe can be ruined by things like overbeating.

Nevie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nevie Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 12:52am
post #42 of 57

I think anyone who is willing put themselves out there by baking and decorating a cake for someone else gets my respect. Scratch, doctored or box.

Apologies if someone posted this tidbit already and I overlooked it, but did anyone see Alton Brown's show on Buttercream recently? He said something to the effect of "It's very difficult to make scratch cake that tastes as good as a mix." His explanation for this was that there are special ingredients in box mixes that are difficult for home bakers to come by.

Of course, he was talking about the average Joe, baking at home, not bakers/decorators who have invested many, many hours into finding the perfect recipe, or large bakeries that may be able to get those same ingredients. But it may explain why people, like myself, who use doctored box mixes get such good results and are hesitant to switch. Just a thought.

He also added that the frosting makes the cake.

Eventually, I would like to have some amazing scratch recipes in my box, but I have 3 children...one in diapers and a fourth on the way. I don't feel like I have time to dedicate to trial and error baking right now. So this works... I'm sticking to it for the time being. But hats off to all you scratch bakers! I love all my fellow decorators! We are family. thumbs_up.gif

ilovelilies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ilovelilies Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 3:27am
post #43 of 57

Boxed, scratch....most of my clients are simply interested in what the cake LOOKS like. =)

fairmaiden0101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fairmaiden0101 Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 4:09am
post #44 of 57

I have some great scratch recipes and some awesome doctored mixes. I do find that just baking straight from the box can, in some flavors ,give an odd taste, but if you use doctored recipes you are basically baking from scratch..you are just using pre-measured dry ingrediants which just makes things slightly faster. What I personally cant stand is ppl who think they are superior because they go to ALL the hard work of measuring out their dry ingrediants icon_confused.gif .....err who cares! If your clients dig your "scratch" cake then that is great...leave the clients who prefer box scratch making to someone else..problem solved.

cakesbycharlotte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycharlotte Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 4:24am
post #45 of 57

but it is a fact that 78% of statistics are made up on the spot. what a funny topic. i have baked wasc forever, didn't know it was so popular.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 6:25am
post #46 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadameRaz

In case noone wants to read the article....here is some scientific results from a 195o's home ec class:

"In 1951, a study at Michigan State University (MSU) comparing cake-mix cakes with traditional ones noted that apart from measuring out the ingredients, similar work was required for both kinds of cake. A later MSU study pinpointed the time saved at exactly 13 minutes and 2 seconds. Other studies (these projects were hugely popular in college home-ec classes) tended to find that cakes baked the old-fashioned way were more "palatable" than the ones that came from a box."

A cake mix from 1951 compared to a cake mix from 2010 is like comparing a 1951 Packard to a 2010 Prius.....................the only commonalities would be the box for the mix and the 4 tires on the car. icon_confused.gif

That old dinosaur of a study has no bearing on what the results would be today.....

Rae

Corrie76 Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 8:25am
post #47 of 57

Lol, What!? No faith in the science of 1951?! but the results were published in an article written in 2002.....man, where's the respect...

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 12:44pm
post #48 of 57

George Bush doesn't HATE cake mix, he just doesn't CARE about cake mix. Let's not misquote Kanye, it might affect the statistics!

Also, I'm gonna let you make that cake mix, but scratch cakes have some of the best cakes of all time!

Click here---http://yfrog.com/77kanyecakemixj

ThePurpleButterfly Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 2:49pm
post #49 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

George Bush doesn't HATE cake mix, he just doesn't CARE about cake mix. Let's not misquote Kanye, it might affect the statistics!

Also, I'm gonna let you make that cake mix, but scratch cakes have some of the best cakes of all time!

detective.gif I am going to try the WASC recipe this weekend. Especially since DH is on sale and I have coupons!!! thumbs_up.gif

Piece_acake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Piece_acake Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 3:06pm
post #50 of 57

"George Bush doesn't HATE cake mix, he just doesn't CARE about cake mix. Let's not misquote Kanye, it might affect the statistics!

Click here---http://yfrog.com/"

Bahahahahaaa!!! I just spit out my coffee!!!

ThePurpleButterfly Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 3:47pm
post #51 of 57
Quote:

Quote:

detective.gif I am going to try the WASC recipe this weekend. Especially since DH is on sale and I have coupons!!! thumbs_up.gif

I meant Betty Crocker. icon_razz.gif

cakesbycharlotte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycharlotte Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 4:15pm
post #52 of 57

sorry wrong place.

corpsequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
corpsequeen Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 5:11pm
post #53 of 57

I personally use box cakes and have always got compliments on how tasty they are. I've always wanted to find good scratch recipes because I think it would be cheaper in the long run but i know it's going to be a long and possibly expensive trial run trying to find recipes that are just as moist and delicious as the box ones ( if not more so :p) So for now I stick with them!

flamingobaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flamingobaker Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 5:33pm
post #54 of 57
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

George Bush Hates Betty Crocker? Why?!?!?!

All of my cakes are variations of the WASC, my people LOVE them, (especially the white) they taste significantly better than what ever else they were getting, including local bakeries that bake from scratch.

Make what you want as long as your customers love it.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 5:38pm
post #55 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingobaker

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

It's a joke...I don't know how he feels about cake mix. I think he's the one who hated broccoli, or was that his dad? I can't remember.

ThePurpleButterfly Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 2:31am
post #56 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingobaker

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

All of my cakes are variations of the WASC, my people LOVE them, (especially the white) they taste significantly better than what ever else they were getting, including local bakeries that bake from scratch.

Make what you want as long as your customers love it.

I was referring to the comment about DH being on sale.... I mean BC. icon_lol.gif

steffiessweet_sin_sations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffiessweet_sin_sations Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 2:38am
post #57 of 57

i agree with indy, u have to stick with what you know is good. personally, i use scratch, but i searched and searched for a good year before i found THE perfect recipe and i use that pretty much for my base for all flavors. but i am comfortable with it, and can whip it out pretty quick, and i have confidence that its the best one for me. and my friends and family love it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%