How To Carve A Lightning Mcqueen Cake Tutorial

Decorating By multilayered Updated 11 Nov 2010 , 4:54am by multilayered

multilayered Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 3:25am
post #1 of 3

I filled and stacked 3 9x 13 cakes wrapped in plastic then stuck it in the freezer. Then I made a template from 10x14 cake board ( I had a lightning toy to work from) It was similar to a solid figure 8 but less drastic, also mcqueens back-end has more of a curve on the sides then the front, draw the basic shape on the board and when ur happy cut it out. Once the cake is nice and firm put the template on the top and just cut out the outline with a VERY SHARP knife. I use two knives when carving one long one short(for the finer details) Once you've cut the basic shape I started cutting down the hood( Make sure you have a toy car with you it really helps you get the right proportions) I then moved to the trunk now the hood id much longer than the trunk make sure you carve it that way.as for the "body" of the car it of course sticks up the most and then it sublely blends with back, Also on the sides of Mcqueen the door area sticks out a little so cut a little off the sides of where the window would be ( just like a 1/2 to a 1/4 inch) Now you should see a bit of a "mcqueen" shape starting...now comes the funicon_smile.gif for the wheel wells be sure to carve them out a bit so you can push the fondant into the holes and u have a place for your tires( the backs stick out further than the front) once you are through with that add your buttercream crumb coat to smooth it in and refine the shape once that's done.... now for the spoiler and tops of the wheel well on the hood Take some of the cake that you've carved off one of the long edges will work very nicely for the spoiler take a little buttercream as glue and stick on your spoiler, do the same thing for the tops of the wheel wells in the front ( the cool bumps on the hoodicon_smile.gif The edges that you carved off work the best for these,just put them on and smooth with buttercream once your happy with the shape put it in the fridge to set. As for the fondant I colored mine with an airbrush...however just to make sure you get smooth even coverage tint your fondant with some red gel color first ( think of it as a primer for the air brush paint) It really makes a huge difference you will need much less paint and it will look very uniform and even..I hope this helps If you have any other questions please let me knowicon_smile.gif Andrea

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1797460

2 replies
Manderly42 Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 4:03am
post #2 of 3

My daughter LOVES Cars and I'm definitely going to try making her a Lightning McQueen Cake! This tutorial will certainly come in handy!! Thank you so much!

multilayered Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 4:54am
post #3 of 3

I'm glad!! I hope it helpsicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%