Storing Cakes

Decorating By tonton1222 Updated 11 Nov 2010 , 1:40am by tonton1222

tonton1222 Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 12:20am
post #1 of 5

How long can you store a cake w and wo icing on it?

4 replies
leily Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 12:27am
post #2 of 5

with icing depends on what type of icing and filling, and most of the time the filling is going to go bad before the cake will (expecially if it's a perishable one)

I don't like to have a cake around longer than 1 week total (from time of thawing, as i freeze my cakes after i've baked) to the time my family or my customer eats the last piece. Now i have had some family tell me they've had the cake 2 weeks later and it was still good, but i don't recommend it.

tonton1222 Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 12:48am
post #3 of 5

Well I was gonna bake my cakes and cupcakes tomorrow for Saturday. So I think they will still be ok. Maybe just buttercream icing them a lil then Fondant them on Friday Night or Saturday Morning. U think thats ok?

KJ62798 Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 12:55am
post #4 of 5

Baking on Thursday for a Saturday event is right on schedule.

I bake/fill/crumb-coat on Thursday and then decorate on Friday so that I have Saturday morning free to fix an issues that crop up.

If the cupcakes are from a separate batch of batter than the cake, I would bake those late Friday. I don't like to have cuppies sit around more than a day b/c they dry out faster than cakes do. I never put cuppies in the fridge--covered (preferably airtight) container at room temp seems to work best.

HTH
Kristy

tonton1222 Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 1:40am
post #5 of 5

Thank you so very much, that is a great help for me icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%