A Few Questions About Homemade Cake Release

Decorating By mom2twogrlz Updated 11 Nov 2010 , 12:56pm by leily

mom2twogrlz Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 10:25pm
post #1 of 8

What is the best way to store homemade cake release? Fridge or room temp?

How long does it last?

I made some using equal parts of flour, shortening, and veg oil and would hate to waste it with improper handling.

TIA

7 replies
TexasSugar Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 10:27pm
post #2 of 8

I've kept it on the cabinet for months with no problems. icon_smile.gif

sweetcakes Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 5:48am
post #3 of 8

i prefer to keep mine in the fridge, i make it up using 1 cup of each and it lasts several months till i have to remake it.

karabeal Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 5:58am
post #4 of 8

Since you three are homemade cake release users, do you mind if I co-op the thread momentarily and ask you what is your preferred method of applying it to your pans? I haven't used it before because I can only picture applying it by smearing it on with my hands . . . I imagine you have a better way?

mom2twogrlz Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 6:07am
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by karabeal

Since you three are homemade cake release users, do you mind if I co-op the thread momentarily and ask you what is your preferred method of applying it to your pans? I haven't used it before because I can only picture applying it by smearing it on with my hands . . . I imagine you have a better way?

I used a pastry brush. So amazingly easy!!!! Brush on a light coat and you are done.

G_Cakes Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 6:07am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by karabeal

Hi Karabeal...

I use a pastry brush to apply mine to my cake pans. You can pick one up at your local super market, dollar store, or anywhere that sells kitchen supplies like walmart.

and to our original poster I keep mine in my fridge and it has lasted six months and longer but honestly I find I am making more and more all the time.

HTH

karabeal Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 6:20am
post #7 of 8

I've switched out my bristle pastry brush for a silicone one and I find the silicone one isn't as firm as the old bristle one. It's fine for liquid-y applications, but not as good for semi-solid applications. Do any of you use a silicone pastry brush to spread the cake release? Or maybe I just have a particularly weak silicone brush . . . hmm.

Thanks a bunch!

leily Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 12:56pm
post #8 of 8

i store mine in the cupboard, it eventually seperates and i just mix it back up.

For applying i either use a pastry brush or a paper towel.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%