Why Was Under My Roll Out Icing Soggy Wet?

Decorating By missyoumom Updated 10 Nov 2010 , 9:40pm by cdgleason

missyoumom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyoumom Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 9:22pm
post #1 of 3

Hiya. im new here but need some answers and fast! im selft taught and to be fair im quite good at decorating cakes. not to good at baking them i just cant find a good recepie i feel comfortable with....feel free to leave me any. Anyway my daughter whos 6 wanted a pink fairy castle cake.i used a caterers sponge mix that was quite nice and good when you have 3 little 1ns running around. but going to cut the cake was awful. inder the cake where i had iced the boad was soggy wet and the icing looked like runny icing and around the cake where i had coated it in buttercream......was this due to my buttercream?...any good recepie please leave as my buttercream is very yellow and quite heavy i now im doing something wrong as years ago when i made cakes before it was white and fluffy and never made the icing so wet?.....please help me x tina.

2 replies
CocoaBlondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CocoaBlondie Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 9:38pm
post #2 of 3

was your cake cooled before you iced?

cdgleason Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdgleason Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 9:40pm
post #3 of 3

You've definitely come to the right place for good advise!
Perhaps you can try some recipes listed here on CC and then narrow it down to the one you like the best! I've heard that Sharon Zambito's recipe is awesome, although I've never tried it!

I use a buttercream recipe that includes shortening, powdered sugar, dream whip, flavoring and milk... I'm sure the recipe is here on cake central somewhere! I love this recipe so much, the taste, and most especially, how easy it is to work with, that I won't waste my time trying a different recipe.

It's just a process of trial and error, in regards to finding a recipe that you like the best. Then, utilize the FREE resources that are available to you to learn how to perfect your technique.... youtube is awesome for tutorials on how to frost a cake, there are some TOP notch decorators that have great videos on youtube! you can't go wrong with CC either!! there are a lot of very generous people who are more than happy to give you advise and helpful hints!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%