Searching For A New Oven...what's Your Preference?

Decorating By tastyart Updated 12 Nov 2010 , 2:59am by blissfulbaker

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 7:14pm
post #1 of 9

I am in the market for a new oven. I could go with either gas or electric. In the past I had a lovely electric convection which I loved but had to leave it behind in a move. The only gas oven I can compare it to is old and clunky. I'm hoping all of you bakers out there can offer some advice on what kind you like and why. It would be cheaper for me to get a gas oven but with my old clunker I smell gas every time I turn it on. Not a lot, I'm not about to burn up my house. Just enough to be annoying. Are all gas ovens that way? I've never used a new gas oven. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

8 replies
apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 7:41pm
post #2 of 9

I too am looking for a new oven....
I currently have a wall oven, but am getting a stand alone now. I only bake with GAS, I personally hate electric. I think it cooks the death out of the cakes, and I perfer the outcome of gas. I have been actively looking and even looked in consumer reports. Kenmore has the best ratings overall for ovens/baking. They also have a great life-span, and good service. Not sure if you have a sears near you, but I know you can check the stuff out online. They are constantly having sales too. I am getting stainless steel which they have a large selection of, but if you are looking for basic finishes, they offer them too. Just my thoughts....I am sure others will disagree on the electric/gas thing, and put in their two cents...LOL

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 3:18pm
post #3 of 9

Anyone else? surely someone else has thier two cents to throw in. Do I hear 4? Please, I need input!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 3:47pm
post #4 of 9

My home oven is a GE electric. I've had it for over 10 years and it is still going strong.

For my shop, this one:

http://www.deluxeovens.com/catalog/CR2-4SD-FRONT.pdf

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 1:47am
post #5 of 9

My kitchenaid convection bakes so well that I put one in my commercial kitchen.

Scarlets-Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scarlets-Cakes Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 2:01am
post #6 of 9

Gas all the way. I've done both and will never go back to electric.

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 2:27am
post #7 of 9

We bake with convection at work and I absolutely LOVE it!!! However, we bought an oven (for home) about a year ago and its a Whirlpool gas range and it does a good job...but it sure isn't like convection.

SCP....I saw an advertisement for the KitchenAid Convection oven. It doesn't surprise me that it performs well thumbs_up.gif That will be the next one I purchase.

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 2:51am
post #8 of 9

I finally remodeled two years ago after suffering 20 years with an electric oven and stove. I now have a dual fuel convection stove/oven. First time I baked a cake in it I nearly burst into tears when I open the door after my timer when off - the cake was actually LEVEL!!!!!! Mine is a Jenn Air and so far so good with it.

blissfulbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blissfulbaker Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 2:59am
post #9 of 9

We move a lot and build or remodel each new home. 15 years ago I bought a Dacor dual fuel convection oven and loved it. Each time I have moved since I always buy the same oven. I usually get my choice of anything I want, but my theory is why change. I pack that oven with cookies, cupcakes or cakes, and they always bake beautifully. I am on my 5th Dacor oven, only because it is my 5th new house in 15 years.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%