A Cat Food Question For You

Lounge By -K8memphis Updated 11 Nov 2010 , 6:46pm by TheCakerator

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 4:21pm
post #1 of 8

Rocco, our beloved cat needs a kitty friend. Roc is on a special diet due to a health problem. And he has to have a measured amount of food every day because this special diet food makes him gain weight and he's already of generous proportion. He would wear curvey jeans in plus sizes if he was into wearing jeans.

Due to a scarey childhood befero we got him he knows no boundaries on eating and gourges if we let him so of course we don't.

So if we get him a buddy how do we keep their food separate?

I want a buddy for him because it will make Roc more active too.

Rocco is about five years old give or take.

Any ideas on how to keep two cats food separate??

7 replies
-K8memphis Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 5:21pm
post #2 of 8

Oh yeah just to make it more interesting, we feed Rocco in doses like three-four times a day because of his eating disorder. Breakfast lunch dinner and a snack before I go to bed. If he's alseep when I go to bed, buddy, he's waiting for me outside the bathroom door after I brush my teeth--when I open the door I hear about it. He asks for more food during the day too but we only give him this much.

(He's snoring right now. shhhh)

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 6:57pm
post #3 of 8

I would just start feeding the new cat on the same schedule, and close them off in to different rooms. I have a friend that has two cats and when she has a sick cat she'd seperate them to feed them. That way they sick cat would get the special food and the other would get his.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 8:11pm
post #4 of 8

We have a few cats in our house, now only 3 but have had up to 5 at any one point.

The cats each have their own dish of food at the same time, in the same room. They usually finish their allocated amount of tinned food (although they have dry cat biscuits and water available all day), twice a day, then they have a snack before being left out of the house at night (they sleep in the garage).

Cats generally are good about eating until they are satisfied, and don't usually overeat. However Rocco sounds like he might be the one waiting to eat the others' food - I would suggest waiting nearby till they have finished. If there is still food in the other new cats bowl when it's done, remove it from Rocco's reach, so he can't get it. You will probably have to supervise them whilst eating to make sure Rocco doesn't get pushy with the new guy, but he will soon learn it's not worth it! Good luck!

SS385Monte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SS385Monte Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 10:01pm
post #5 of 8

Since I work full time, my one kitty on special food basically has his own room that I put him in while I'm at work. His food is always open in his room, as he has the opposite problem and is not allowed to lose any weight. My other kitty has his food in a cool whip container. While I'm at work his food is open, but as soon I get home it gets closed. He'll let me know when he's hungry and I open his food, keep an eye on my skinny thief, and close the food when the not so skinny kitty is done. Overnight they both get access to the prescription food. It's the only way I have found to get sleep. icon_smile.gif

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 12:05am
post #6 of 8

I struggle with a similar issue but without the health problems...one of my piglets (oops, I mean kitties) is a tad (DH would say mucho icon_smile.gif ) on the chubby side but I don't know how to put her on a diet. We have a trough (oops, I mean a dish) that we keep full all the time. One of piglets (oops, I mean cats) is old and we want her to be able to eat whenever she wants. Seems like we're constantly filling that dish, though.

Good luck...will you get a kitten? Fun, fun!

-K8memphis Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 12:51pm
post #7 of 8

Thank you guys so much. It's nice to know he's not the only cat with an eating disorder too--we're not alone!!

Thanks again!

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 6:46pm
post #8 of 8

we have two cats, one is on wet low carb cat food because she is diabetic, and the other kitty is on dry cat food because on wet she developed rodent ulcers on her mouth.

During the day, since I am here all day, I can feed both cats at the same time and stand guard. It only takes a cat about 5-10 min. to eat in this house (probably longer then some since one had 8 teeth taken out) but regardless, it isn't that long. They get fed 4 small meals through the day and then at night, our diabetic cat is locked up in our room with us. The other cat is locked out into the rest of the house. Her bowl is down for her all night. The diabetic cat USED to use an automatic 5 compartment auto feeder until she developed a rash I think due to the plastic. Now we get up three times through the night to plop down a bowl of food for her. yeah, we are dedicated crazy cat people!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%