You Know How We're Always So Supportive....?

Decorating By luddroth Updated 12 Nov 2010 , 11:04pm by madgeowens

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 3:20pm
post #1 of 33

when a decorator tells us that the 'bridezilla' complained about the cake and wants her money back? You gotta check out today's post on www.Cakewrecks.com!

It is unbelievable what some decorators (or hobbyist friends/family?) deliver for some poor girl's wedding. Really. Unbelievable.

32 replies
lomfise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lomfise Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 3:35pm
post #2 of 33

Saw it and laughed like I haven't for a long time. Those poor brides, I hope they've been able to see the funny side and not let an ugly cake ruin their day icon_biggrin.gif

luddroth Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 3:40pm
post #3 of 33

I agree! A happy couple should be able to get a laugh that will last them for years out of an experience like that -- but then, they really shouldn't have to pay for it....

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 6:51am
post #4 of 33

There were some truly awful cakes on Cake Wrecks today. If I were a bride who had received one of those cakes, you can bet I'd be on the cake decorator's doorstep demanding a refund.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 9:00am
post #5 of 33

well, at least when the baker of the toppling cake asks for photo-proof, he/she will have it!

luddroth Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 11:48am
post #6 of 33

There should be a rule that if your wedding cake ends up on CakeWrecks (and not on a Sunday), there's a 100% refund.

Ruth0209 Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 3:51pm
post #7 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

well, at least when the baker of the toppling cake asks for photo-proof, he/she will have it!

That was just sad, wasn't it?! That was actually a pretty cake before it tipped over.

Saluna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Saluna Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 4:12pm
post #8 of 33

I couldn't believe some of the wedding cakes! Its sad, I'm sure the bride/groom paid a pretty penny for a few of the cakes. I know people do try hard but sometimes people just dont have the talent for it. I know I will definetly never try a wedding cake. LOL. I'm happy and content doing small celebration cakes! icon_biggrin.gif

11cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
11cupcakes Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 4:21pm
post #9 of 33

I agree!

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 4:25pm
post #10 of 33

Someone posted that her cake was put on there, just yesterday. I feel bad for the brides, they don't get a do over, well unless they get divorced etc. On the other hand, didnt they look to see what kind of cakes these people were able to make? If I could not do a wedding cake.....I would not do a wedding cake..........but thats just me. I agree the one that fell over...what a tragedy....not enough to be pretty if it is not supported properly, ugh.

StacyR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StacyR Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 4:28pm
post #11 of 33

Someone posted here yesterday how outraged she was that one of her wedding cakes was posted there. She wouldn't say which one it was, but she couldn't believe it. She had a lot of people post how tacky Cake Wrecks was. I just told her that if she didn't want her cake on there, she should ask them to take it off and they would.

The only one I thought might not deserve criticism was the satellite cake with a million flowers. You couldn't see the cake for all of the flowers so it may have been beautifully done. That may have been a bride/florist issue more than the baker.

I will admit that I read Cake Wrecks faithfully and love it.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 4:49pm
post #12 of 33

Kinda makes you wonder how many of the so-called Bridezillas really are. All of those cakes would have warranted a FULL refund if asked for. BUT, imagine the horror, upon checking the lastest blog post on Cake Wrecks and seeing your own cake! Shudder...

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 5:42pm
post #13 of 33

I saw the post from one of the decorators that ended up there. My heart goes out, but REALLY??? Please do not charge if you cannot produce a consistently ok (if not good) product. OK, that is mean.

On the other hand, I saw this link while googling something else yesterday
http://www.celebswedding.com/2009/10/celebrity-wedding-cakes/

And there are a few cakes on there that are leaning severely, and they hand celebrity photogs making them look good!
So, I guess we all have good and bad moments, and I hope Gwen Stephani and Jenna Bush got a refund!!!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 6:04pm
post #14 of 33

The pic of the satellite cakes looks OK to me. Lots of flowers, but the cake looks fine. As far as the rest of them . ..

ThePurpleButterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThePurpleButterfly Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 6:07pm
post #15 of 33

WOW! I'm a newb and make WAY better cakes then those. I have NO plans to ever do weddings.

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 6:27pm
post #16 of 33

jentreu, I saw them lean too!!! I kind of leaned the other way in my chair just to make use it was me and not the cake. wow!!! I couldn't believe my eyes.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 6:28pm
post #17 of 33

I know a bakery that puts out some pretty scary stuff...I almost turned some photos in to Cake Wrecks but was scared of the bad karma. haha. So I behaved....loved looking at those wedding cakes though!!!!

Ruth0209 Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 8:00pm
post #18 of 33

I had the impression the satellite cakes with all the flowers was on there because there were so many flowers on it that you could barely see the cakes, not because the cakes themselves were bad. They looked okay to me, too.

silverdragon997 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
silverdragon997 Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 9:35pm
post #19 of 33

I was curious about the satellite cakes one with all the flowers, so I went to the website that's listed on the bottom of the photo. The baker seems to do a lot of cakes like that one. Her cakes aren't bad. Definitely not my cup of tea, but they aren't executed badly.

ASimpleBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ASimpleBaker Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 9:58pm
post #20 of 33

I think she showed that picture as a good representation of too many flowers, even with the cakes well executed.

indydebi Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 10:56pm
post #21 of 33

re: the celebrity cakes ......

While so many in the link look like they are leaning, I've seen these cakes in the original magazine publications (non-online pics) and the cakes looked fine.

Were the photoshopped to look good? Or photoshopped to make them look crooked? (because one in the above link DEFINITELY looks photoshopped to MAKE it look crooked!)

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 11:00pm
post #22 of 33

Often times you get what you pay for. I can't believe these brides went to a professional decorator, checked out their portfolio, and got any of those cakes. Maybe "Aunt Mary' made them...

indydebi Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 11:03pm
post #23 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowshoe1

Often times you get what you pay for. I can't believe these brides went to a professional decorator, checked out their portfolio, and got any of those cakes. Maybe "Aunt Mary' made them...

don't they have some kind of "rule" or disclaimers that they can't be hobbyist cakes? that any submissions must be from professional cakers who accept money for them? So an "Aunt Mary" cake wouldn't qualify unless Aunt Mary is Aunt Mary's cakes Inc. Anyone, please correct me if I am recalling this wrong.

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 11:19pm
post #24 of 33

I like the site cake wrecks. I would totally be embarrassed if my cake was on there but it would also let me know that maybe I am not cut out to make wedding cakes. I think my favorite part about the site is the commentary offered by the blogger. Darn funny if you ask me.

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 12:14am
post #25 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowshoe1

don't they have some kind of "rule" or disclaimers that they can't be hobbyist cakes? that any submissions must be from professional cakers who accept money for them? So an "Aunt Mary" cake wouldn't qualify unless Aunt Mary is Aunt Mary's cakes Inc. Anyone, please correct me if I am recalling this wrong.

Yep, only 'professionally-made' cakes can appear on Cake Wrecks.

mahal50881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mahal50881 Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 5:04am
post #26 of 33

cakewrecks uses photos from professional bakers which in their opinion is anyone who charges for a cake. I think the only requirement for their site is that someone charged for the cake.

I must admit, I read that blog almost everyday and I love when the decorators misunderstand what people actually wanted on the cake, like when they actually write "Sprinkles Everywhere!!" Those are my favorite posts!!!

madgeowens Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 5:48am
post #27 of 33

wow if they are professional cakes that is pitiful for real....whoa

SillyJacs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SillyJacs Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 5:57am
post #28 of 33

I enjoy reading cake wreaks but my thing is...anyone can submit a photo so no really know who made it and if the cake decorator received payment.

madgeowens Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 6:34am
post #29 of 33

Well you don't have to go to cake wrecks to see cake that I find hard to believe people paid for it....especially for a wedding....it amazes me.

madgeowens Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 6:44am
post #30 of 33

omg did you see that slimey darth vader one lol I laughed so hard my side aches.....good grief how hard is it to spell Veteran for real????

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%