I Need A "thick" Sugar Cookie For Cut Outs ! Help

Baking By vlk Updated 13 Nov 2010 , 7:08pm by 3GCakes

vlk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vlk Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 2:56pm
post #1 of 22

I have been in search of a the recipe for the thick sugar cookies (cut outs) almost has a shortbread taste - melts in your mouth as you eat them! YUM thumbs_up.gif

I have tried all kinds of recipes for the sugar cookies, and they just dont hold up to the thickness I need - I can cut them out thick (1/2 to 1/4), but baking them they flatten out to blobs!

I have seen and had these cookies, they are amazing.. and I am at my wits end trying to find the recipe -

TIA..... TIA.... TIA... icon_biggrin.gif

Vicki

21 replies
vlk Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 9:25pm
post #2 of 22

I have searched the internet and I think I have found a recipe for THICK sugar cookies, that have a shortbread texture -

I will make, and then post my results -

Thanks,

Vicki

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 9:34pm
post #3 of 22

if your having issues with your recipe "flattening" out you may want to try freezing them first, then cook them straight from the freezer.

i do this and just add 1-3 minutes on to my regular baking time, depending on the size of cookie.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 9:35pm
post #4 of 22

I was going to suggest NFSC. But you found one already. Can you post the recipe or a link here?

Sucrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sucrea Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 9:43pm
post #5 of 22

NFSC is a great recipe!! It is the only one that I use. You can alter the taste by adding different flavorings too! YUMMY!!

mandirombold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandirombold Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 12:49am
post #6 of 22

where can I find this NFSC recipe? I do use a recipe from Allrecipe.com it is under thick sugar cookies its right on the front page right now. it is very shortbread like, (it has a tooon of eggs) I will try to find an post it. U leave it 1/2 in thick.

Sucrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sucrea Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 4:32pm
post #7 of 22

NFSC is here on CC.

mandirombold Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 4:49pm
post #8 of 22

This is what I use for thick cut outs

Ingredients
6 egg yolks
4 eggs
2 cups butter, softened
2 1/2 cups white sugar
7 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons vanilla extract

Directions
1.In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; stir into the sugar mixture. Cover dough and chill for at least one hour.
2.Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets. On a floured surface, roll the dough out to 1/2 inch thick and cut into desired shapes using cookie cutters. Place 2 inches apart on to the prepared baking sheets.
3.Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely

chinadoll652003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chinadoll652003 Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 4:52pm
post #9 of 22

I have tried the NSFC and it tastes great but in order for my cookies to hold their shape you have to freeze it.

I use a melt in you mouth shortbread cookie recipe and it comes out perfect every time! No freezing, no eggs and you can add flavorings too! With the shortbread you don't have to worry about your cookies "spreading out" during baking. They hold their shape wonderfully.

mandirombold Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 5:37pm
post #10 of 22

willing to share the shortbread cookie recipe? icon_wink.gif

vlk Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 6:17pm
post #11 of 22

Whew.. this is alot hard then I thought !

I made 4 batches of cookie dough and not ONE was right... I mean really ! By the time the fourth one was baking, I was sitting on the floor watching it thru the oven window - praying it would not flatten, praying that it would at least hold up... well, it kinda did - but the taste was so "GOSH AWFUL" the dog did not even want it - and the funny of that, is that it recieved 5 stars and was raved about as for taste - I must have bad taste buds on that one! Yucka !

I think I will try the recipe posted.. but also, I believe that its more on the shortbread recipe that lets it hold its shape in the oven (also freezing helps ALOT) so I found some of those -

Back to the kitchen I go...

Vicki

chinadoll652003 Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 7:59pm
post #12 of 22

Sure! Here it is:

1 1/4 c. powdered sugar

4 c. flour

2 tsp. cornstarch

4 cubes butter (room temp)

1 tsp. good vanilla ( I use Madagascar )

Stir together flour, powder sugar and cornstarch. Add in butter and vanilla. You want the dough to be the constancy of play dough. Roll out dough, cut into shapes and bake at 350 for 8 to 10 mins. Just until cookies are slightly golden brown.

pood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pood Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 8:34pm
post #13 of 22

Chinadoll
How much is s "cube" of butter?

cs_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cs_confections Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 9:20pm
post #14 of 22

According to a few sites, it looks like a cube is 1/2 cup, so her recipe is calling for 2 cups of better

1 cube = 1/2 C, or 8 tablespoons, or 4 oz, or a quarter pound, or 1 stick

vicki3336 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vicki3336 Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 9:34pm
post #15 of 22

That's weird. When I googled for a cube of butter, the answer was 2 ounces, or half a stick, which would result in a "cube" shape. Wonder which it is. Hmmmm.....

cs_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cs_confections Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 9:53pm
post #16 of 22

Right, but most sites that discussed both options said that if the recipe is in America it is 1 stick, whereas other areas it would be a 1/4 of a stick. The recipe poster is in the US. Hopefully she'll come back and post her answer.

Here are a few of the sites where the conversion was discussed:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=82589.new

http://community.tasteofhome.com/forums/p/628508/5262430.aspx

http://forum.onlineconversion.com/showthread.php?t=359

http://www.eons.com/groups/topic/1560928-What-s-a-cube-of-butter-

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_much_is_a_CUBE_of_butter

vicki3336 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vicki3336 Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 12:03am
post #17 of 22

Wow. You were a lot more thorough than I. They got me with the cube shape, made sense and I didn't look any further. Thanks for letting me know. Could have been ugly.

Bubbl3h3ad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bubbl3h3ad Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 12:27am
post #18 of 22

So, mandirombold, you have to use a total of 10 eggs? icon_surprised.gif Just making sure. I want to try that recipe because I have a bunch of extra yolks sitting in my freezer!

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 12:42am
post #19 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLK

but the taste was so "GOSH AWFUL" the dog did not even want it - and the funny of that, is that it recieved 5 stars and was raved about as for taste - I must have bad taste buds on that one! Yucka !

Don't be down on your taste buds. We all have different taste. I've tried a number of recipes on CC that got rave reviews and high ratings, but I hated. One of those was KHalsteads Modified NFSC. No offence to KHalstead or those that loved the recipe, it just wasn't for me. So I went back to my favourite sugar cookie recipe from AllRecipes.

@chinadoll652003 - That looks like a great shortbread recipe. Once we get confirmation on what a "cube" of butter is I'm defintely going to try it.

chinadoll652003 Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 3:36am
post #20 of 22

Sorry all. 1 cube = 1 stick. 4 sticks = 1 lb.

cohen1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cohen1 Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 4:01am
post #21 of 22

Have you tried the recipie from the flour pot bakery? It keeps it shape very nicely.

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 7:08pm
post #22 of 22

My son had surgery last week and someone sent him a "Cookies by Design" bouquet. It was gorgeous.

I'd love to know a recipe for cookies like that. I think they are cinnamon, about 3/4 inch thick, still semi-soft and very delicious.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%