Gumpaste Bows With Contrasting Color Edges?

Decorating By njusaguy Updated 10 Nov 2010 , 10:26pm by njusaguy

njusaguy Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 3:43am
post #1 of 8

Searched forums but couldn't find an answer. Sorry if this has already been posted. Any advice on how to create gumpaste or fondant bows that has a contrasting color edge on the bow loops? Similar to the bow in this photo by member jolandatielemans.
Thanks in advance.

7 replies
trishvanhoozer Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 4:06am
post #2 of 8

Hi, you will need a clay extruder. You just choose the disk for the size border you want, and when you cut your loop panel, you will wet the edge a very small amount (use very little water to do this) then roll the extruded color rope against the edge, do this for both sides of your panel. Let it sit for a minute, then drape over your dowel and crimp the ends, cut if desired into a point and let it dry. I do move my loops around my dowel every 30 minutes or so until I know for sure there was no water leak to make it stick to the dowel. I have a black/white bow I did on my photos. I also dusted my loop panel with luster dust before painting the water on with a super small paintbrush and adding my edge.

usmdesigner Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 2:40pm
post #3 of 8

Is there a recommend clay extruder?

I looked at some on Amazon and they look really small length wise. For example, if I wanted to extrude a line around a 12" cake, it seems I'm going to have a lot of stopping points.

Or do you generally just use these for smaller size projects such as this.

dogwood Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 3:17pm
post #4 of 8

I can't remember the brand name on my clay extruder (I'm at work right now and can't look), but it's a shiny green color and about 4" - 5" long. What I like best about it is the way it operates. It has a rod at the top that you turn round and round to get the fondant out instead of using a lot of hand or finger pressure. Whatever you do don't get the plunger type. I had that kind before and its very hard to get the fondant out. Also, you'll be surprised at what a long thread of fondant will come out. You won't have to use a lot of short pieces like your thinking. Hope this helps. icon_smile.gif

usmdesigner Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 3:58pm
post #5 of 8

After going over it in my head, I realized you are right. The volume inside outweighs the volume that actually comes out, so it is not like you push down and only get the length of the extruder. Wasn't thinking about that.

Scarlets-Cakes Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 4:11pm
post #6 of 8

I have that same green clay extruder and the brand is Makin's Clay. You can get it at Hobby Lobby or Michaels. It's around $25, so use a coupon!

debster Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 4:21pm
post #7 of 8

You may think this is pricey but worth EVERY penny if your gonna be doing cakes on a regular basis. This holds tons of fondant mix it with shortening so it comes out easier. I wrap rings around 16" cakes and up it also has one that makes ribbons I roll them into a roll then attach to cake. LOVE THIS CLAY GUN!!!!!!

Here's the extra dies and smaller guns My son took the blank one and did me a bunch of small holes for me to make hair and grass with....
if this doesn't work put "dies" in the search box there and it will take you to the extra dies and smaller guns.

This is where I got mine sorry, just checked

njusaguy Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 10:26pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks, trishvanhoozer. Will give it a try.

Quote by @%username% on %date%