Am I The Only One That Is Feeling Totally Overwhelmed?

Lounge By cupadeecakes Updated 16 Nov 2010 , 5:25pm by tracycakes

cupadeecakes Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 3:04am
post #1 of 7

I am a one girl shop. My husband takes care of the pictures,web,graphic stuff and then some, but he does work 40 elsewhere. I have been running flat out
Every week and can't get control over the "other stuff". New forms or updated contracts or new business cards are never going to get done. I can get the cakes done and done well but everything else suffers. We analyzed the last 100 customers and found that I had 52 birthday cakes that averaged $88 the 48 wedding customers had an average sale of $880. So we raised our minimum today to $250. I don't want to grow and get employees,been there and I got into the same thing I had in my old job. You supervise instead of getting to enjoy the learning. I'm just so tired of being underwater all of the time. Any suggestions. icon_cry.gif

6 replies
AmysCakesNCandies Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 12:43pm
post #2 of 7

I am a one woman shop too, and I completely understand where you are coming from.
I'll give you the advise my husband gives me... although admittedly I rarely follow it.
When you've reached the limit of what you can handle just turn orders down.

Lately I have tried scheduling certain days for certain activities and "scheduling" a day off. For example I am off Sundays & Mondays (except the occasional Sunday delivery) Tuesdays I do "office work" updating website, order supplies, emailing leads, uploading pics, etc. Wednesday is baking day. Thursday is fill & crumb coat. Friday is decorate. Saturday is delivery day (95% of my cakes are for Fri/ Sat/ Sun)so far its been helping relieve the feeling of chasing my tail.

TexasSugar Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 2:44pm
post #3 of 7

Can you raise your price per serving amount? That way you do less cake but make more off of it?

cupadeecakes Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 4:09pm
post #4 of 7

Amy, your plan is the exact thing that I have been trying to do, with the exception of Monday, I still work then. I think i need to change my answering message to say # 1 that I'm booked (when applicable) and #2 that I now have. A $250 minimum and # 3 please look army website to see prices, pictures, availability and open bridal consultation appointments. I realize that it doesn't sound very friendly, but if I answer the phone they often talk me into things I don't have time to do. I just have to take my life back!

myslady Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 2:48pm
post #5 of 7

1. give your self a break, even if it is for a week only
2. Learn to say no.
3. change your answering machine message to say sorry we missed your call, .... for general information please check our website..... will return at our earliest convenience.... (or something to that effect)
4. turn the ringer to the phone off (you can't answer the phone if you don't hear it ringing)
5. set a schedule for yourself for each day of the week like Amy has.

cupadeecakes Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 12:14am
post #6 of 7

That is perfect advice and just what I needed to hear. Thank you so much!!

tracycakes Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 5:25pm
post #7 of 7

I always feel behind and overwhelmed - I thought that's the way it was supposed to be. thumbs_up.gif

Actually, I am closing shop the week between Christmas and New Years - no cake orders.

I am hoping to be quitting my dayjob soon (only part-time now anyway) and that will give me, hopefully, a little more time and hopefully, I can do a better job networking. I'm really weak on that right now.

Quote by @%username% on %date%