Attach Branches To A Tree Cake---Help

Decorating By ylescu Updated 10 Nov 2010 , 3:39pm by rosa369

ylescu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ylescu Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 2:40am
post #1 of 9

I'll be making a tree cake soon and I am wondering how to attach branches to it. I'm making the trunk out of cake covered in fondant and attaching branches to it, with the leaves being made out of rkt tinted green which are then attached to branches that are wires wrapped in fondant.How do I attach the rkt to the wire? Will they just stick with me compressing them onto the wire? Also I'd like to make the branches kind of extend outwards,with a bit of distance from the trunk but am afraid of the branch drooping from the weight of the rkt. Do I use a heavier gauge wire? Will this even work?

Need all the help I can get!

8 replies
ylescu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ylescu Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 3:35am
post #2 of 9

anyone? icon_redface.gif

keconnell08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keconnell08 Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 4:01am
post #3 of 9

I think the branches will droop. A larger guage would add more weight. Perhaps a rice crispy core or top to poke the branches into?

lilbitacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilbitacake Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 4:02am
post #4 of 9

I have read on here that you are not to put wire into the cake. If I were you I would use craft sticks covered in fondant as the tree branches.

AngelinaMomof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelinaMomof3 Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 2:36pm
post #5 of 9

I would use dowels or popsicle sticks.. Not wire.. There are no food safe wires..

dogwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogwood Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 3:02pm
post #6 of 9

You could slip the wires of your branches into small straws, like the coffee stirrer kind, and then push that into the cake. That way the wire would not be touching the cake. As for the leaves, you could glue them to the tree branches with melted chocolate. I would love to see a picture of this when you're done. thumbs_up.gif

jerseygirlNga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jerseygirlNga Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 3:08pm
post #7 of 9

If you ask at your local "coffee shop" they may allow you to take the thin, plastic drink stirrers. I insert the wire into the stirrer, seal the bottom with melted chocolate and insert. That was the safest method that made sense; but I can't take the credit. Learned it from another decorator here.

rosa369 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosa369 Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 3:38pm
post #8 of 9

Why don't you use pretzel "sticks" covered in chocolate and then attach them with chocolate? Instead of using rkt for the leaves, why not using fondant or chocolate clay? Roll the fondant or clay thin for less weight and make the leaves small and attach them with chocolate.

rosa369 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosa369 Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 3:39pm
post #9 of 9

Why don't you use pretzel "sticks" covered in chocolate and then attach them with chocolate? Instead of using rkt for the leaves, why not using fondant or chocolate clay? Roll the fondant or clay thin for less weight and make the leaves small and attach them with chocolate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%