Long Stem Roses

Decorating By corpsequeen Updated 10 Nov 2010 , 9:18am by corpsequeen

corpsequeen Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 1:33am
post #1 of 5

I just got a request from someone who wants long stem gumpaste roses to give out as party favors, Ive made roses before but never with nice stems as they are usually in the cake. Does anyone have any ideas for a good way to cover the stems to make them look nice? i was hoping to avoid floral tape because it remains pretty sticky on the outside and its usually pretty unpleasant to touch.

Also, does anyone have any good transportation ideas for these roses to keep them from breaking on the drive? Im worried a long stem wont work well in a styrofoam block.

Any other tips or suggestions for the topic would be greatly appreciated!

4 replies
G_Cakes Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 2:08am
post #2 of 5

Hmmm thats a tuff one...

Was thinking of floral tape but even if you were to use fondant it would be sticking as well.

What I am thinking off the top of my head would be to use floral tape and then wrap it with some sort of tissue paper (in long strips) to coverup the tackyness of the tape.

You could also try gumpaste but it would likely crack or chip off when handled.

The only other thing I could think of would be to use the plastic covered wire stems from other artificial flowers but that could end up being expensive depending on what quality you purchase.

Sorry not sure if this helps or not.

Bonnell Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 2:24am
post #3 of 5

Use long lollypop sticks in place of wire, they work great and they are just the right thickness. You could probably "paint" them green w/airbrush color since the paper is going to be somewhat porous. They come in a very long version that would be what you are looking for. Used these in a rose class I took a couple of weeks ago and I was sold on them. And they are also bendable!

corpsequeen Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 2:59am
post #4 of 5

I am loving the tissue paper idea! I think that might help give the most realistic look. I think I'm going to try the lollipop sticks as well, Ive never seen bendable ones though, where do you get them/what brand are they? Also, I don't have any airbrush color, is there any other affordable (easy to get) food safe paint i can use? Ive tried icing color before but it just doesn't dry.

Thank you both so much for the great ideas! icon_biggrin.gif

corpsequeen Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 9:18am
post #5 of 5

I'm also curious what anyone else here would charge for 30 long stem gumpaste roses. I'm having a hard time trying to figure out around how much each rose would cost to make to find a good price range. Because I'm still very much a beginner I try to keep my prices as low as I can as I consider all my work practice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%