Cake Release....omg!!!! Heaven Sent!!!!

Decorating By mom2twogrlz Updated 11 Nov 2010 , 2:02pm by SuzyNoQ

mom2twogrlz Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 12:51am
post #1 of 27

Ok, I finally broke down and followed the words of the wise and made some cake release. All I can say is WOW!!!! I love that stuff. I will never go back to spray stuff or shortening/flour again. icon_surprised.gif

My cakes turned out of the pan wonderfully, and the crumb appears to be just about nonexistent. I can't wait to frost these puppies on Friday!!!!! Maybe my crumb coat will be a little less crumby now. icon_redface.gificon_biggrin.gif

Thanks to all you pros out there, you are the best!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

26 replies
katibeth88 Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 1:10am
post #2 of 27

Well now hold up, lady! What about those of us who missed out on this glorious cake release recipe?? Share!

please? icon_biggrin.gif

Ambar2 Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 1:16am
post #3 of 27

Yeah! Spill!!!!!

mom2twogrlz Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 1:30am
post #4 of 27

It is just equal parts of shortening, flour and vegetable oil mixed together. I used a blender but I think a food processor might be faster. It kept clumping, as it is rather thick. Mine is the texture of brownie batter.

Just use a pastry brush to coat the pan and voila...you are done!!! So easy!!!!

Seriously, I don't know why I didn't do this earlier. Next I might try lining the pan in parchment paper and see if that is a big difference or not. It seems like a waste to me, but I'll give it a go.

pmarks0 Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 1:49am
post #5 of 27

I cottoned on to the pan grease about 6 months ago. Best thing ever! You don't need a blender or a food processor, a reguar mixer work fine. Just keep it in the fridge and stir it up before each use. Brush it on with a pastry brush or one of those siicone brushes. It doesn't need to put on thickly.

Scarlets-Cakes Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 2:07am
post #6 of 27

I cannot wait to try this on my cake this weekend. I don't usually have a problem with using Baker's Joy, but there is always the occasional..."What happened?"

crisseyann Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 2:09am
post #7 of 27

I heard about the homemade cake release here on CC, probably about 4 years ago. I HAVE to have it on hand. It is one of THE best tips I learned here. icon_smile.gif I use a handheld mixer to blend mine and also use a small pastry brush to paint my pans with. Talk about awesome stuff!

Ambar2 Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 2:47pm
post #8 of 27

Thanks Im going to give this a try!

traci_doodle Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 2:59pm
post #9 of 27

This is probably a dumb question, but can you guys recommend a good pastry brush? I finally threw mine away because the bristles kept falling out. It was gross.

SuzyNoQ Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 3:06pm
post #10 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by traci_doodle

This is probably a dumb question, but can you guys recommend a good pastry brush? I finally threw mine away because the bristles kept falling out. It was gross.

I like the silicone bristle brushes, they cost a bit more (the one I have was around $5) but they are so much easier to wash, and they last alot longer.

endymion Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 3:10pm
post #11 of 27

I had the same problem with pastry brushes... and I tried MANY different brands/kinds. I brought a cake to work once and a coworker thought she found a HAIR in my cake because I missed seeing and removing a bristle from the brush! Talk about damaging to a baker's reputation!

Do the silicon brushes really work for this? I have been using the spray because I thought the silicon brushes would produce too thick a coating. (?)

cakesmart Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 3:25pm
post #12 of 27

WOW...homemade cake release! I can't wait to try this...just so happens I am baking now. I will use this today!

FrostingKrista Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 3:49pm
post #13 of 27

I am definitely going to have to try this! I swear by the Wilton Cake Release, but It may just be cheaper to make it myself icon_smile.gif Thanks for Sharing!!

deijha Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 5:48pm
post #14 of 27

I have used this for a long time now and I just mix it by hand with a wisk. It is wonderful stuff I have never had a cake stick to a pan. And its just shortning and flour so you don't have to refrigerate it.
Jeanne

Nao_13 Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 6:21pm
post #15 of 27

i dont know about the home recipe but yeah i jsut started using the wiltons cake release and omg i love it.

But i tried the PAM baking spray once... maybe i did something worng ( i doubt it thought) and it didn't help at all.. the cake was totally stuck and very very very crumy

Kitagrl Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 6:22pm
post #16 of 27

I love mine! I whip it in my mixer until its fluffy and thick (about 8-10 minutes) and then store it in a container and use a silicone brush to apply it to my pans. Nothing better!!!!

lilscakes Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 6:31pm
post #17 of 27

I love my cake release. I make a bunch ahead of time , freeze in smaller containers, and keep one ready to go in the fridge. I use it for all my baking, cakes, muffins etc....love it! It's a must have staple in my kitchen!

infinitsky Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 6:47pm
post #18 of 27

I too love cake release or as some call it bakers grease. I mix it with hand mixer in smaller batch(since I am a hobby baker) and keep it in a glass jar in the refrigarator. I apply it using either a pastry brush or kitchen paper towel.

momdalejr Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 7:07pm
post #19 of 27

So...... 1 cup of each, flour, veg short. and oil... So why do you have to keep it in the fridge???

thumbs Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 7:34pm
post #20 of 27

oh, I will have to try this. I always use the Wilton Cake Release and love the results I get but at $5 a jar it's getting pricey.

Thanks for posting!

Dayti Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 8:24pm
post #21 of 27

I don't keep mine in the fridge...it lives in a plastic airtight container on the counter...my bad?

Cakegirl313 Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 8:40pm
post #22 of 27

I learned how to make this in one of the cake classes I took a couple of years ago. I too think it is the BEST stuff ever. I use the silcone brush and it works wonders. If it seems to go on too thick then just spread it out more. Should work fine. And I don't keep mine in the fridge either. It lasts a good bit in a sealed container.

SPCC Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 8:57pm
post #23 of 27

I keep mine in the pantry. no need to refridgerate.

Rosie2 Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 9:24pm
post #24 of 27

Wow, this sounds awesome. I have to try it!!!
Thank you! thumbs_up.gif

alleykat1 Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 9:33pm
post #25 of 27

I too loved wilton cake release and then I tried the home made release and now that is all I use..so much more cost effective and it lives in my pantry too in an airtight container.. it's the next best thing to sliced bread lol!

All4Show Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 9:58pm
post #26 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by momdalejr

So...... 1 cup of each, flour, veg short. and oil... So why do you have to keep it in the fridge???

I don't think you have to. At least in the Whimsical Bakehouse book it says it doesn't need to be refridgerated.

SuzyNoQ Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 2:02pm
post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by endymion

I had the same problem with pastry brushes... and I tried MANY different brands/kinds. I brought a cake to work once and a coworker thought she found a HAIR in my cake because I missed seeing and removing a bristle from the brush! Talk about damaging to a baker's reputation!

Do the silicon brushes really work for this? I have been using the spray because I thought the silicon brushes would produce too thick a coating. (?)

I haven't noticed a difference with it, even with butter on rolls or bbq sauce when dh is grilling.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%