Harlequin And Quilting

Decorating By sccandwbfan Updated 13 Nov 2010 , 1:05am by himmlisch

sccandwbfan Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 10:54pm
post #1 of 6

Howdy,

I always see quilting on fondant, but can it be done on buttercream too?

Also, if you are cutting the diamonds out for a harlequin cake, is there a trick to making sure you don't end up with an off column, too big or too small?

Thank you guys, your expertise never ceases to amaze me. icon_smile.gif

Christy

5 replies
Kaykaymay Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 11:10pm
post #2 of 6

yes quilting can be done on buttercream.

when doing the harlequin, measure the circumference of the cake and divide it by the size of diamond you want then you may need to adjust the size of the diamonds to get it to fit equally around. do the same for the height of the cake also.

BluntlySpeakingKarma Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 11:41pm
post #3 of 6

And always switch off your pattern. Do one row, do a row next to it, and jump to theother side of the first one you did, then back and forth like that.

bakencake Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 11:41pm
post #4 of 6

You can definitely quilt a bc cake here is one of my pics.I have another pink box cake that might show better.
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1820981

as for the harlequin i sometimes have the first and the last column off. I call this the back of the cake icon_biggrin.gif . nobody has said anything yet
hth

sccandwbfan Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 6:32pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you guys. Again, your generous response astound me. icon_smile.gif I'm so glad that I found this website. icon_smile.gif

himmlisch Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 1:05am
post #6 of 6

BTW, when image googling "harlequin" last night I got the horror of learning that it's also the name of a terrifying skin disease that effects fetuses... but happy ending, I found exactly what I needed on GSA, and I didn't have any nightmares.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%