Huge Crown/dome On Hershey's Chocolate Cake??

Baking By CharliesMom09 Updated 10 Nov 2010 , 3:05am by Creativebakes

CharliesMom09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CharliesMom09 Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 8:12pm
post #1 of 5

I'm a new hobbyist, and after reading raves about the Hershey's "perfectly chocolate" chocolate cake recipe, I decided to give it a go. I've made it twice, and both times I ended up with huge domes. Each time, after I leveled my two layers, the leftovers could have made a third layer! My cakes were short as a result. The second time I made the recipe, I baked the cake with one flower nail in the center of each of the two 9" pans. There was no difference; still a huge dome.

What am I doing wrong??? Or does this recipe just produce a big crown? Many TIA!

p.s. Hubby didn't complain... he got LOTS of scraps, and cake was delish!

4 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 8:21pm
post #2 of 5

Have you tried the bake even strips or lowering the oven temp to 325?

shkepa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shkepa Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 8:50pm
post #3 of 5

I agree try baking at 325 it make a big diffence and use the cake nail. Also when the cake fist comes out of the oven while still hot compress the cake dome to try and level cake.

CharliesMom09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CharliesMom09 Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 2:45am
post #4 of 5

Thank you! Next time, I'll have to try the 325 tip and pressing down on the top. I haven't tried the bake even strips, but they're on my Christmas list. : )

Creativebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creativebakes Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 3:05am
post #5 of 5

this cake is worth perfecting. Its the only chocolate cake i use and I get rave reviews on it. I use a wet towel wrapped around my pan to prevent domes. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%