Questions About Freezing/thawing Cookies

Baking By tsal Updated 10 Nov 2010 , 3:57am by G_Cakes

tsal Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 6:14pm
post #1 of 14

Hi,

I'll be baking and freezing 200 cookies tonight and tomorrow. I have some questions:

1. How long do I have to leave them to cool before freezing? I know that they have to be completely cooled, but do I have to wait a few hours more? Is there a benefit to leaving them overnight to settle at all?
2. I am freezing them in airtight tupperware-type containers. I will be stacking them (separated by waxed paper). Is this ok?
3. If I want to flood them next Thursday, when do I take them out of the freezer? Do I thaw them in the fridge or leave them out on the counter in their sealed containers?

Thanks so much!

13 replies
tiggy2 Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 6:31pm
post #2 of 14

I freeze them as soon as they are completely cooled. A tupperware container is fine for freezing ( I also layer with wax paper). It should only take a few hours to thaw in the container. Leaving them on the counter is just fine.

icer101 Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 6:35pm
post #3 of 14

Hi, yes, just place them in your container as you say your are doing., after they are cooled . I do this all the time. Just take out of freezer Wed. nite, place on counter to come to room temp. Then ice them. You have got it down right. I don,t bake cookies all the time, I do have to demo them when i teach, so for the last 5 yrs. that is what i do when i have to bake them . It helps so much.

tsal Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 6:56pm
post #4 of 14

Thank you!! icon_smile.gif

SimonsComics Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 8:45pm
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsal

Thank you!! icon_smile.gif

Tiggy2's suggestion about wax paper is good. For some reason they seem to retain a bit more softness that way.

infinitsky Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 9:11pm
post #6 of 14

I have a question too....

Is it necessary to thaw and then decorate? Can't we just decorate them right out of the freezer? They will thaw while the icing is drying!!!?

cindy58 Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 12:12am
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitsky

Is it necessary to thaw and then decorate? Can't we just decorate them right out of the freezer? They will thaw while the icing is drying!!!?

I take them right out of the freezer and decorate them.

Scroll down to "Great Tip" on this page:

http://www.ourbestbites.com/2009/02/tutorial-valentine-sugar-cookie-pops.html

karabeal Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 12:46am
post #8 of 14

You can also bake, cool, ice and then freeze. I use Toba's glace' icing and the cookies come out beautifully. If you do this, just remember to put a bit of whitener in the glace'. I did a taste test with fresh and previously-frozen cookies and no one could tell the difference.

tsal Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 1:41am
post #9 of 14

Karabeal: can I use glace icing if i'm making a dark color (khaki green)? I'm going to look for Toba's recipe right now.

Thank you SO MUCH cindy58 for that link! I feel so much better now knowing that I can just ice them right out of the freezer!

tsal Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 1:47am
post #10 of 14

Karabeal: what do you mean by whitener? The white food coloring?

karabeal Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 2:57am
post #11 of 14

Yes, I mean the "white white" color. It is opaque. I believe Wilton and Americolor both make it.

As far as colors go, I've made bright, true primary colors in glace, but I've never made khaki. About six months or so ago someone on here (bless his or her heart) did a side-by-side comparison of the colors you can get using royal icing v. glace. It was pretty neat. And there was a difference between the two types of icing in terms of what colors worked better. Maybe a search will turn up that thread for you.

I believe there are other members here who freeze their decorated royal icing cookies. I only mentioned that you can freeze the glace cookies because I prefer that icing and that's what I've personally used and had good luck with. If you search on this topic, you will likely find others who have instructions and tips for freezing cookies with royal icing.

infinitsky Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 3:31am
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy58

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitsky

I take them right out of the freezer and decorate them.

Scroll down to "Great Tip" on this page:

http://www.ourbestbites.com/2009/02/tutorial-valentine-sugar-cookie-pops.html

Thank you... icon_smile.gif

Apti Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 3:44am
post #13 of 14

Wow! I was just going to search for this same exact question! Dang, I love CC.

G_Cakes Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 3:57am
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apti

Wow! I was just going to search for this same exact question! Dang, I love CC.

lol ME TOO....

Thats why I love this place.. great minds think alike !!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%