Red Velvet "was A Bit Dry"

Baking By Normita Updated 9 Nov 2010 , 2:35am by Normita

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 12:20am
post #1 of 6

Hi everybody!!

I mainly use doctored cake mixes using primarily the WASC and its variations and I get nothing but compliments on my cakes. I have used the Saras red velvet Tweaked from this site which is a scratch recipe. The cupcakes are good and moist but when I made the cake for someone this past weekend they said it was "a bit dry". I dont know what to do, as I find the red velvet just different in texture from my other cakes. I like it but I dont want people to say "their a bit dry"

Any suggestions on how to make it better?? Or any other recipes...I didnt care for Cakemans RV as that is another scratch recipe I have tried.

Thanks icon_smile.gif

5 replies
blissfulbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blissfulbaker Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 12:54am
post #2 of 6

I am a scratch and box baker. I don't like dealing with all the food color that is needed with RV so I use box mixes for that type of cake. I use DH RV cake mix. I add an extra egg and subsitute buttermilk for the water. I also add 1T of cocoa powder. About 10 minutes after taking the cake out of the oven, I cover it with plastic wrap (do not remove it from the pan) and put it in the fridge or freezer. Now I know many CC's say that putting a cake in the fridge is a no no, but I was trained by Collette Peters and that is what I was told to do. It is my understanding that by covering it with plastic wrap keeps the moisture from evaporating from the cake. Also, putting the warm cake in the fridge causes condensation, it is that condensation that keeps a cake moist.

If I need more than one box mix worth of RV, I use the cake extender recipe for WASC. But again, I use buttermilk instead of water and I add a small box of choc. pudding (I then skip adding the extra Tablespoon of cocoa powder). I have never had anyone complain my cakes are dry.

Normita Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 1:22am
post #3 of 6

Thanks blissfullbaker for your suggestion.

So if I wanted to stay with the wasc variation, I can use RV box mix, add the 1 cup of flour, 1 cup of sugar, and small box of choco pudding and instead of water use buttermilk?

I usually freeze my cakes once they are cool, but you are suggesting to freeze them within 10 minutes of taking them out of the oven, do not take them out of the pan and wrap the entire thing in saran wrap??? Is it difficult to take them out of the pan when I am ready to use it?

Sorry so many questions...its just that this is really driving me nuts!! This is the only time someone said any of my cakes were dry. Again, I dont know if its because of it being a scratch recipe icon_confused.gif

blissfulbaker Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 2:14am
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normita

Thanks blissfullbaker for your suggestion.

So if I wanted to stay with the wasc variation, I can use RV box mix, add the 1 cup of flour, 1 cup of sugar, and small box of choco pudding and instead of water use buttermilk?

I usually freeze my cakes once they are cool, but you are suggesting to freeze them within 10 minutes of taking them out of the oven, do not take them out of the pan and wrap the entire thing in saran wrap??? Is it difficult to take them out of the pan when I am ready to use it?

Sorry so many questions...its just that this is really driving me nuts!! This is the only time someone said any of my cakes were dry. Again, I dont know if its because of it being a scratch recipe icon_confused.gif

blissfulbaker Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 2:32am
post #5 of 6

Normita, Please forgive me I did the quote wrong. But yes, you were correct with the WASC variation. But I usually double it, so it would be 2 box of RV mix, 2 C flour, 2 C. Sugar, one box of choc. pudding, 2 C sour cream 8 eggs, a little salt, vanilla, 2 2/3 C buttermilk. 1/2 C oil, This will make about 82 regular sized cupcakes.

About 10 minutes after you take the cake out of the oven, put plastic wrap over it and stick it in the fridge or freezer. Make sure it is cool enough not to melt the plastic wrap though. It will not stick to the pan if you line the pan with parchment paper and spray it well with Pam. If I do freeze it, then I let it defrost a little so it does not stick to the pan and it comes out easily. I prefer to crumb coat a partially frozen cake. Now, I don't have that many cake pans, and sometimes I need them to bake more cakes. So this is what I do... after the cake is good and frozen I remove it from the pan, and wrap it real good in more plastic wrap and stick it back in the freezer before it can completely defrost.

I use this method with both box and scratch mixes. I was taught this by Collette Peters, and all my cakes are very moist. Collete was very adamant about leaving the cakes in their pans covered with plastic wrap and then put in the fridge or freezer. I know many CC's are very much against putting a cake in the fridge, but this is the way I was taught and I all my cakes are very moist.

I hope this helps.

Normita Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 2:35am
post #6 of 6

This is really helpful. I am going to try using the wasc with the RV box, hopefully, it will come out more moist. I am going to try freezing the cakes in the pan, especially if Colette Peters suggests this icon_smile.gif

Again,
Thanks so much

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%