First Wedding Cake Dummy

Decorating By cutiepiecupcake Updated 24 Nov 2010 , 12:38pm by mommakabob

cutiepiecupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiepiecupcake Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 11:11pm
post #1 of 9

This is a picture of a cake dummy representing the cake I'm doing for my first wedding. I've only semi covered each tier as I don't like wasting the ingredients. The colours are exactly the way I was hoping.. what do you think? I used a very light spray of pearl lustre dust to give it a lovely light shimmer (the marble ripply affect on the bottom and middle tier is actualy the light reflecting off of my textured glass top dining table lol ) I like the quilted affect - I've only done it roughly without measuring it out.. but it gives me the idea of what the overall outcome will be like. Should I apply some clear glue under each pearl? I noticed the pearls fall off quite easily after sitting overnight... hmmm. The middle tier is going to have a light brushed gold ribbond made of sugarveil that will be gathered in the centre and fastened with an oval brooch with a pink pearlised cats-eye in the centre surrounded a ring diamentes. The bottom layer will have some elegant scrolls (cut with cricut) the scroll background will be in the same color as the middle tier, and then overlayed with the same golden color as the middle tier's ribbon.
Thoughts, opinions and general comments would be much welcomed.. I'm desperate to get this right!
Thanks

8 replies
cutiepiecupcake Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 11:18pm
post #2 of 9

another thing I wanted to add was that I noticed that the maroon americolor gel I used in the second tier has affected the flavour of my mm fondant. I will be using Fondx on the real cake, however, I think it will still adversely affect the flavour still. Should I add some buttercream flavouring or some other flavour? Suggestions??

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 11:21pm
post #3 of 9

I think it looks lovely. Nice job.

11cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
11cupcakes Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 11:32pm
post #4 of 9

Love the flowers! Good job on quilting too. Good luck with your cake!

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 11:32pm
post #5 of 9

That cake will be lovely!! And very proud of you for practicing making it !!! So many don't bother to practice and freak out when it doesnt work out for them (I know!! I used to be one of them icon_lol.gif then I learned to practice!!)

your flowers are beautiful. And yes, use RI or tylose glue to hold your pearls in. They do love to pop off a cake with each little bounce or jiggle.

cutiepiecupcake Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 9:53pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks everyone for your encouraging comments and advice (I sampled the glue.. thanks.. heaps better!) After much debate, I am now contemplating going with ivory fondant for all 3 tiers, and maybe wrapping the middle tier in a ribbon that is of the original pink color seen in the above photo, and still join it together in the center with the brooch. I will still do the scrolls on the bottom using the pink and probably ivory overlay in place of the gold. I think the solid pink middle tier and gold ribbon (sampled that last night) just looked too busy and cluttered with the cluster of lillies on top.. I don't want to risk the end product looking tacky! What do you think?

cakenovice2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenovice2010 Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 6:04pm
post #7 of 9

Beautiful! I love the colours - everything! I would keep it simple. You can always add later, but start off simple with each layer imo. I would maybe leave the middle layer plain fondant to balance the top and bottom layer (if you add the scroll work to the bottom).

This is gorgeous, I really love it. icon_biggrin.gif

cutiepiecupcake Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 11:46am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakenovice2010

Beautiful! I love the colours - everything! I would keep it simple. You can always add later, but start off simple with each layer imo. I would maybe leave the middle layer plain fondant to balance the top and bottom layer (if you add the scroll work to the bottom).

This is gorgeous, I really love it. icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks cakenovice2010.. I ended up going with simple and it turned out really elegant.. you can see a pic of it in my gallery.. the bride and groom were blown away.. and I feel real proud of the outcome.. oh it tasted awesome too icon_smile.gif

mommakabob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommakabob Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 12:38pm
post #9 of 9

Just looked at the finished cake and it is gorgeous! GREAT JOB!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%