Help! Wilton Giant Cupcake

Baking By Cats_Cupcakes Updated 9 Nov 2010 , 11:00am by susiekoos

Cats_Cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cats_Cupcakes Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 11:04pm
post #1 of 8

I am making a giant cupcake as a birthday cake but having trouble with it cooking in the middle and being brick hard on the outside!

When i made the cake a month ago everything went fine but tonight both attempts have gone straight in the bin!

Ay suggestions for even cooking or am I better off cooking both parts seperately?

7 replies
Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 11:12pm
post #2 of 8

You need to bake it at a lower temp for a longer time - this pan was a great concept but poorly thought out in production by Wilton. It should've been 2 seperate pans.

Good Luck!

andreac999 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andreac999 Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 11:16pm
post #3 of 8

I had the same problem, so the last two times I've used that pan I've cooked each sides separately. It's obviously more time consuming, but I've found it works better.

Cats_Cupcakes Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 11:18pm
post #4 of 8

Where abouts in the oven did you put it and at what temp? Did you put water in the side of the pan without cake mix?

Thanks for the advice

andreac999 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andreac999 Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 1:23am
post #5 of 8

I just put it in the middle of the oven at 325. I didn't put water in the other side, but I'm sure it wouldn't hurt. Good luck!

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 5:29am
post #6 of 8

i only bake in the top part and prefer to bake a 7" and 8" cakes then trim down for the bottom part.

Cats_Cupcakes Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 9:29am
post #7 of 8

I've just done a third attempt cooking both parts separately and it still didn't work. I'm about to give up!

susiekoos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susiekoos Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 11:00am
post #8 of 8

I have never seen the pan but can you use a flower nail on the bottom of the pan to help it bake in the center. When I make a big cupcake cake I use a 7" round , then stack 2- 8" rounds on top and sculpt the sides. It's very easy and I've always had good results. Hope this helps icon_wink.gif
Good Luck !

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%