Fondant Recomendations?!?!?!

Decorating By myrtlebeachbaker Updated 11 Nov 2010 , 5:09pm by masont

myrtlebeachbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myrtlebeachbaker Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 10:35pm
post #1 of 5

I have been using Wilton fondant for the last two years. I was mildly happy with it until a fellow caker friend told me how much better Satin Ice was.

Since I was wanting to try it anyway and REALLY like their gumpaste, I bought two large tubs. Taste wise I LOVE IT!

It is also very easy to roll...much easier than Wilton.

But thats the problem...its toooooo easy to roll out. I have so many issues with uneveness, tearing, stretching, etc. I also have trouble with the fondant cracking after they set and are stacked! I use dowels and NEVER had this issue before!

I also have issues with the colored ones (red in particular) actually MELTING from conensation. We live in a very hot and humid climate so from april to october we have to ffreeze the cakes. Though I am trying to avoid this as much as possible.

Help, opinions?!?!? icon_cry.gif

4 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 10:48pm
post #2 of 5

just mix it half and half (or whatever works) with wilton.
or there are many otehr brands to try - fondx, chocopan (chocolate one)... the names escape me, but do a forum search for something like 'best brand of fondant' (or do the search in google with cake central added)and you will get lots more names and opinions.
xx

kimbordeaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbordeaux Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 11:02pm
post #3 of 5

myrtlebeachbaker,
I live in SC also, the other side of SC, near Lexington. I use Satin Ice and they have been having problems lately with their fondant. Emailed them and they explained that they implemented new equipment and in turn had to change their recipe. They say they fixed the problem, not sure about that. Do you use the rolling pin spacer rings? Those help a lot with evenness. My problem with Satin Ice is how fast it dries and leaves elephant skin. Lately no matter how thin I roll it it tears and cracks.

~Kim

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 3:55am
post #4 of 5

Massa from Albert uster is hands down the best. I have used satin ice, fondx, fondx elite, fondariffic, pettinice, choco-pan, and Wilton.

masont Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
masont Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 5:09pm
post #5 of 5

I agree completely with Jenn2179. Massa is the only fondant I will use. I have tried all of the major brands out there and have even made my own several times, but nothing can compare. It is a dream to work with!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%