How To Incorporate 'descriptive Words' Into Cake?

Decorating By tsal Updated 10 Nov 2010 , 12:48am by Ruth0209

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 10:08pm
post #1 of 20

Hi,

It's my very-good-friend's 40th bday next weekend and I've been commissioned to take care of the cake. She wants something sophisticated, with flowers, and it can't look like a wedding cake. So, I've been looking around for ideas, and I decided on something like this gorgeous creation:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1836704

However - her husband just emailed me to offer some 'input' and sent me some pictures he wants incorporated, and some 'descriptive words' about his wife:

-happy
-loyal
-passionate
-compassionate
-intelligent
-integrity
-warm

How would I incorporate the words? I was considering making a plate of cookies with these words piped onto them, but it's more work and I'm nervous about getting everything done since it's going to be a crazy week for me.

How would I incorporate pictures? It's going to cost me $15 to print up a page at my local cake shop, so I'm considering not doing it since this is a free cake and it will really increase my costs. Thoughts?

19 replies
3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 10:22pm
post #2 of 20

Wow....seems like a tall order.

The cake you picture is pretty, but I wouldn't call it sophisticated, more whimsical.

I am not sure how you are going to be able to incorporate all of that into a cake. I'd try to get him to narrow his thoughts down to one "theme"...say...a certain picture of her that you could have sitting next to the cake in a nice frame, and then do the cake to compliment it with matching flowers, etc.

tsal Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 10:26pm
post #3 of 20

I like the idea about the picture.

So you think it's not sophisticated enough? Any suggestions for sophisticated cakes?

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 10:33pm
post #4 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsal

-happy
-loyal
-passionate
-compassionate
-intelligent
-integrity
-warm

How would I incorporate the words?

Instead of the scrolls (in the photo), it would be so much fun to pipe these words all over the top tier.

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 10:34pm
post #5 of 20

If you want to incorporate the words I would think about using the colors requested for the base color, then instead of the scrollwork write the words in a pretty font sporadically around the cake. You could make it sophisticated by adding a glittery border and some elegant flowers. And then on top a picture of her and a elegant 40. If you want to get away from the wedding cake look go with a square cake, most people associated stacked round cakes with weddings.

Good luck. HTH

tsal Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 10:39pm
post #6 of 20

I guess I'll have to face my piping fears on this one! Or, I could use my tappits (I have a sophisticated font). I'm crappy at piping.

endymion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
endymion Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 10:40pm
post #7 of 20

What about putting the words on the cake board, surrounding the cake?

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 10:42pm
post #8 of 20
Quote:

I guess I'll have to face my piping fears on this one! Or, I could use my tappits (I have a sophisticated font). I'm crappy at piping.

Yes! And I like the idea of doing them around the cake board like Endymion said!

Are the letters on your SATC cake tappits? I HAVE to get some of those!

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 10:51pm
post #9 of 20
Quote:

If your sophisticated font tappits are cursive and scrolly, it would look great!

tsal Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 11:14pm
post #10 of 20

Unlimited: yes they are cursive and scrolly and I think I'll use them!

3Gcakes: the letters on my SATC cake are tappits and I love them. Easy peasy!

mom2twogrlz Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 11:41pm
post #11 of 20

I just thought of something. Since there are 7 words you could do one on each side of the cake, with her name on the top middle. Use your fancy tappits and add some jewels or scrolls around the words to tie them all in, and add to the sophistication. This would make it less busy. You could glitter it up and make it really nice. They have those ready made jewel scrolls at Michael's, just peal and stick. Then when it is time to cut the cake you just peal them off.

Why is that I can think of so many ideas for other, but have a hard time with my own cakes!!!! UUGGG!!!!

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 1:39am
post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2twogrlz

They have those ready made jewel scrolls at Michael's, just peal and stick. Then when it is time to cut the cake you just peal them off.

What are these ready made jewel scrolls you are referring to??

I am crummy at piping too, so I avoid at all costs and use tappits or edible markers. Painting works well too. I know I'm a lot better at painting then at piping.
I also saw a cake that used stamps of nice words. You can buy them at scrapbooking stores. It's elegant and subtle. Here's the cake - I just love it!
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1806825
Sounds like a great cake- please post pic when you're done!

tsal Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 2:30am
post #13 of 20

wow cakesrock! that's an awesome cake! icon_smile.gif I will post pics when it's done icon_smile.gif

mom2twogrlz Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 5:10am
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2twogrlz

They have those ready made jewel scrolls at Michael's, just peal and stick. Then when it is time to cut the cake you just peal them off.

What are these ready made jewel scrolls you are referring to??

I am crummy at piping too, so I avoid at all costs and use tappits or edible markers. Painting works well too. I know I'm a lot better at painting then at piping.
I also saw a cake that used stamps of nice words. You can buy them at scrapbooking stores. It's elegant and subtle. Here's the cake - I just love it!
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1806825
Sounds like a great cake- please post pic when you're done!

They jewels are usually used for scrapbooking or crafts. But you can apply them to a cake very easily. I did it on my last cake. Here is the link. So easy.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1851573

I also used the stamps to imprint the design on the turn dial. Super easy and fun!!!!

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 5:34am
post #15 of 20

I don't think an edible picture on a cake looks very sophisticated. Besides, who really wants to cut through and then eat the birthday girl's head? I like the idea of the words on the board, too. Either that or white on white on the cake in script.

cake_architect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 5:39am
post #16 of 20

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1704485
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1161612
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=18879

i think all of these would be a great example for you to follow! i've always loved cakes with writing on them =D if you do go this route, though, maybe ask for a few more words the husband would like to incorporate

Cocobongo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cocobongo Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 8:19am
post #17 of 20

Oh dear, if it were me, I'd tell him to put those lovely words in a card to her, and carry on with your original cake... it is, after all, a cake icon_smile.gif

Sorry I think it just bugged me as a few weeks ago I had someone who wanted an elegant looking cake and then said, but I want it to have a sports theme (man on bike, man swimming, man running) and I want penguins and all sorts of other stuff.... wtf!!!

Anyway there's my mini rant. Good luck x

Good luck icon_smile.gif

pixiefuncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pixiefuncakes Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 8:52am
post #18 of 20

What if you wrote (piped/tappited whatever) on the stripes on the bottem of the cake? Maybe a bit tricky to read but ..........

tsal Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 11:10am
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth0209

I don't think an edible picture on a cake looks very sophisticated. Besides, who really wants to cut through and then eat the birthday girl's head? I like the idea of the words on the board, too. Either that or white on white on the cake in script.

I totally agree!!! I'm not an edible image fan to begin with, and thought the exact same thing about cutting through her head!!!! Lol!

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 12:48am
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocobongo

Oh dear, if it were me, I'd tell him to put those lovely words in a card to her, and carry on with your original cake... it is, after all, a cake icon_smile.gif

The best advice yet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%