Tiered Cake Question - Would This Look Strange?

Decorating By TerriLynn Updated 9 Nov 2010 , 2:26pm by TerriLynn

TerriLynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TerriLynn Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 9:51pm
post #1 of 7

I am a hobby baker making my first baby shower cake in December, but I'm already planning. icon_smile.gif The cake topper is porcelain and is 4" in diameter (round). I planned to make an 8" bottom layer and a 6" top layer to put the topper on. Would 6" be too small for a 4" topper? Would that look strange? Should I make a 10" bottom layer and an 8" top? Any suggestions you have would be most welcome. I have learned so much on this site so far. THANKS!!!

6 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 10:27pm
post #2 of 7

The 6" top tier will be perfect. it's the 8" tier that would look strange.

TerriLynn Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 12:41pm
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

The 6" top tier will be perfect. it's the 8" tier that would look strange.

Thank you!! If I use a 6" top, what would be the best size for the bottom? (Can you tell I'm a little new to this? ha ha). Thanks SO MUCH for your reply.

BethLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BethLS Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 2:05pm
post #4 of 7

I like the 6/9 combination icon_smile.gif

If you look in my photos, there is a two tier chocolate cake (the Halo cake) that is a 6/9. icon_smile.gif

Have fun and be sure to post photos once you're done with the cake, the topper in porceline sounds neat!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 2:13pm
post #5 of 7

6/9 is one of my fav combinations also. But it all depends on how many servings you need.

TerriLynn Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 2:24pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BethLS

I like the 6/9 combination icon_smile.gif

If you look in my photos, there is a two tier chocolate cake (the Halo cake) that is a 6/9. icon_smile.gif

Have fun and be sure to post photos once you're done with the cake, the topper in porceline sounds neat!

Beautiful cake! Thank you for the advice icon_smile.gif

TerriLynn Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 2:26pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

6/9 is one of my fav combinations also. But it all depends on how many servings you need.

Thank you so much! Your cakes are gorgeous!! I sure appreciate the advice. I knew I could count on you guys icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%