Question About Member Photos

Decorating By Mb20fan Updated 10 Nov 2010 , 1:27am by daltonam

Mb20fan Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 9:48pm
post #1 of 25

Hey all!
I'm just wondering, for all those that don't have cake pics in their album if there's a reason for it. There are a few here that are experts in our eyes, always willing to be helpful and offer great expertise from their past experiences and such, but yet their albums are bare.

I haven't posted a whole lot nor have I included many pics in my gallery, (haven't done that many anyway) but I am a newbie and not nearly as experienced as most of you and at times, I'm reluctant to post anything because of the not-so-friendly few that can sometimes be..well, mean. But I've read, taken and used advice from some that don't have many pics to display and I was just curious about that. Again...just friendly curiosity about why some don't post their pics on this site. icon_smile.gif

24 replies
jason_kraft Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 9:51pm
post #2 of 25

Personally I don't post pics on CC because we've already set up a photo gallery on our web site, seems like a duplication of effort to upload them all again somewhere else.

Mb20fan Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 9:53pm
post #3 of 25

Ahhh...never thought about that. thumbs_up.gif

endymion Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 10:19pm
post #4 of 25

Although the forums can get snippy, I have never seen a negative comment about a picture in the gallery... Unless the person specifically requested constructive criticism instead of praise.

leah_s Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 10:32pm
post #5 of 25

ditto jason. I have 300+ pics on my website.

Mb20fan Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 10:42pm
post #6 of 25

I've never seen a bad comment on a photo either...but the forums can get pretty bad.

Leah...300+ pics...I'd LOVE to look at your pics. icon_biggrin.gif

costumeczar Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 12:08am
post #7 of 25

When I first started on here I was anonymous so that I could post about business stuff and not have clients find the posts, so that's why my screen name is costumeczar. (I used to work in costuming in the theater.) After a while I realized that I wasn't going to post on a public forum about anything business-related that was too sensitive anyway, so I went ahead and posted my links to my website and blog.

I have my website and blog and that takes all my time, so I don't upload photos here or anywhere else, to tell the truth. Also, I think that Cake Central as well as other sites reserves the right to use any photos that are uploaded for their own purposes, so if you don't want your photos used you shouldn't upload them to sites other than your own website. Not that they necessarily would use them, but it's something to be aware of.

cakeythings1961 Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 1:20am
post #8 of 25

Not that I give advice anyway (whenever I do, I seem to attract those "snippy" comments,) but I don't post pics because I have really annoying picture sharing issues! My DH insists on using Linux OS, which doesn't play nice with my camera. Uploading pictures is waaaaaaay too time consuming!!

mombabytiger Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 2:44am
post #9 of 25

Simple - I'm stoopid and can't figure out how to do it.

Unlimited Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 4:28am
post #10 of 25

Let me first say that these experts, that are always willing to be helpful and offer great expertise from their past experiences and such, shouldnt need to have photos in their albums for anyone to read, take, and use the advice. If its good advice, I dont see why it mattersId be thankful for their free expertise.

We all know that its not required to submit photos, so those that choose not to are free to do so with or without a reason. I doubt that most who dont post photos care to discuss why, so I thought Id share some of the reasons that Ive read about in the many threads that have been posted on the subject, along with some of my opinions.

Possible reasons: Newbie, shy, insecure, fear of participating and/or being judged, lurker, troll, glitches, dial-up ISP, not needy for validation/comments/compliments/praise, read the Terms and Conditions policy, freeing up CC space, removed photos when they left the site or for copyright reasons, avoiding answering how its made questions, avoiding the upset of no comments, not interested in ego-stroking puppies & rainbows sugarcoated comments, dont want their creations copied or reproduced/photos stolen or a need to create a watermark (or dont know how to watermark), believes as long as the client is happydoesnt matter what everyone else thinks, believes theyre damned if they dodamned if they dont, retired professional offering advice perhaps with no new photos to share or too many photos to share, doesnt want their messy kitchen to be seen and not familiar with Photoshop tricks, wishes to remain anonymous and doesnt want their style recognized, has a second account and doesnt want their photos to be recognized (possibly so they can stir the pot anonymously or be brutally honest with their alter-ego), only here to view goofy questions for entertainment purposes, and forum-only reader that doesnt look at photos. (Thats all Ive got!)

Technically, its too easy to remain anonymous to the general public on the internetif thats the goal. I guess thats why God created the internet! Happy Caking!

adventuregal Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 6:19am
post #11 of 25

I have a few of my beginner cakes on here from awhile back, but I never post pics anymore simply because I don't feel like I have the time-the few precious moments I get to spend on here are on the forums hehe I think also the better you get the less you need reassurance of comments and that kind of thing. I used to post right away and couldn't wait to hear the response, but now I'm so happy with my work that I just revel in it myself-usually with a stiff drink and leftover cake scraps hehe

Unlimited Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 6:37am
post #12 of 25

I forgot to mention the few photos that I've shared were mainly because they applied to a forum thread like "show us your graduation cakes", etc.

Apti Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 6:49am
post #13 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mombabytiger

me too

madgeowens Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 7:03am
post #14 of 25

I know sometimes I am curious when I read posts to see how good that persons cakes are and so I will go check them out....and I was also curious why some have none.......maybe they will post there website instead....icon_smile.gif

leily Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 1:54pm
post #15 of 25

I really slowed down posting a couple years ago mainly b/c i spend more time in the forums than i do trying to upload photos. Then i pretty much stopped the last year and a half or so b/c everytime i get a few pictures together to upload it seems there are issues with the site and uploading photos to the galleries.

I also post my pics elswhere on the internet anyways, so there out there somewhere.

costumeczar Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 2:41pm
post #16 of 25

I never even look at the picture section on here unless someone is talking about a specific cake in a post. I unfortunately have too much of this pesky thing called "work" that interferes with my internet time, so I only go to a few forums on here then do my other web stuff then go do said work.

diamonds-and-rust Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 2:50pm
post #17 of 25

Ha! I cant even post a link let alone upload pics!

mayo2222 Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 3:05pm
post #18 of 25

It took me forever just to post my profile picture so I don't have much desire to try and upload cake pictures. Besides I'm still trying to get my lazy rear to post all my pictures on facebook and that doesn't even require any decompression.

Mb20fan Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 3:16pm
post #19 of 25

Lol...you guys are too funny. icon_lol.gif
Thanks to those of you that offered friendly replies. thumbs_up.gif

Unlimited Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 3:59pm
post #20 of 25

Madge:
What happened to your post about Al Gore inventing the internet?

madgeowens Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 4:45pm
post #21 of 25

hahahahaha....I guess they deleted it.

Sunshine0063 Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 5:20pm
post #22 of 25

I've noticed alot of people that don't post pics on cc do have a link at the bottom of their posts which will direct you to their website. If I want to see their pics then I click there.

playingwithsugar Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 5:54pm
post #23 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by endymion

Although the forums can get snippy, I have never seen a negative comment about a picture in the gallery... Unless the person specifically requested constructive criticism instead of praise.

We old-timers have seen plenty of arguments started in the threads over "constructive criticism", even when the OP specifically asked for it. A couple of times it got so nasty that people got banned from CC for it. I learned the hard way that if someone asks for constructive criticism, send them a message in a PM.

And as far as negative comments in the gallery, I've only seen it happen once. The decorator was told her cake was ugly (not verbatim). Needless to say, CC turned into a combat zone for a couple of days.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Apti Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 12:04am
post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apti

Quote:
Originally Posted by mombabytiger

me too

Chiming in again, my niece, bless her heart, created a website with my cake pictures on shutterfly (no way I could do that) and I put a link to that via the www on CC. I got heck from a moderator prior to the www link because I was directing CC'ers to another site to see my cakes. ( icon_eek.gif bad Apti!)

I desperately wished to have people see my photos early on because I was just about to bust out of my skin with pride in my new skills and LOVED hearing "how darling" my creations are. The comments I treasure the most by far are from my family and close friends who personally know me. They know I've never done anything artistic in my entire life and are thrilled that I've discovered a new talent this late that I LOVE (and they love eating). CC members have also provided praise and validation for cakes that were created with love and effort and time and money and THAT means a lot because CC'ers KNOW what it takes to create cakes.

As far as criticism, I don't think anyone on her honestly wants criticism. They want praise and validation; and CC provides that in a usually friendly, supportive, and wonderful way. Once in a while I do see an ugly cake, and I stay far, far away from that thread! It can get UGLY! And I'm NOT talking about the cake.

daltonam Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 1:27am
post #25 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

We old-timers have seen plenty of arguments started in the threads over "constructive criticism", even when the OP specifically asked for it. A couple of times it got so nasty that people got banned from CC for it. I learned the hard way that if someone asks for constructive criticism, send them a message in a PM.

And as far as negative comments in the gallery, I've only seen it happen once. The decorator was told her cake was ugly (not verbatim). Needless to say, CC turned into a combat zone for a couple of days.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

OH MY WOW, sooo sooo true!!!! I can't say I remember exactly which time you're talking about, but BAM & all heck broke lose.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%