What Went Wrong

Baking By learningtodecorate Updated 8 Nov 2010 , 9:29pm by bakingpw

learningtodecorate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
learningtodecorate Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 6:58pm
post #1 of 5

For the last two weeks my frosting, and filling has not been comming out right can you please tell me what did I do wrong in both the frosting, and filling. 1. I made some yellow cupcake with buttercream frosting and carmel swirl on top why did the carmel melt some of my buttercream, and most of the carmel ran down the side of the cupcakes? 2. I wonted some pinapple buttercream frosting for some cupcakes and I wonted to use a can of crush pinapple, and instead of the extract so I made the buttercream then just added the some of the crush pineapple to the buttercream for my filling it turned out so watery, my husband is a real picky eater but he said it tasted good, just to watery how do I change this, and made the pinapple buttercream but less watery. Thank-You for any advice

4 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 7:11pm
post #2 of 5

1: i dont know, any chance the caramel was warm? which would melt the bc, and ause the caramel to shift.

2: the problem with real fruit is that its very, very juicy! and too much juice can curdle (is it technicaly curdling? it looks like it anyway) the bc. usually adding more ps works for making it stiffer, and hiding the curdling.
xx

jen9936 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen9936 Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 7:21pm
post #3 of 5

For the crushed pineapple problem, you could probably put it some cheesecloth and let it drain until most or all of the juice has been eliminated, then add just the pineapple without the juice to the icing.

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 7:21pm
post #4 of 5

I'm not sure about the caramel, like brincess_b said, perhaps it was too warm.

For the pineapple you could use pineapple preserves instead. Just add it to the BC until desired flavor is achieved.

bakingpw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingpw Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 9:29pm
post #5 of 5

Pineapple has an enzyme that breaks down fats, so it's not always easy to add-in. Caramel has to be really thick to not drip - gravity and liquids do not mix.

Don't be discouraged - keep trying. We all learn as we make mistakes along the way.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%