Do You Sketch Out Cake Design For Customers?

Decorating By amygortoncakes Updated 8 Nov 2010 , 8:40pm by indydebi

amygortoncakes Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 5:36pm
post #1 of 7

I have made a few cakes for people that haven't been copying a cake they found online. I am not the worst artist, so I usually sketch something up for them. It hasn't been a problem yet, but I can forsee that whenever I start doing more elaborate cakes that move beyond kids themes I am not going to be able to sketch 3-d looking cakes, with flowers etc.

Do you sketch cakes for customers?

Any tips?

6 replies
tootie0809 Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 5:49pm
post #2 of 7

I'm lucky that my husband is an excellent artist so I have him do sketches. I can sketch a very basic cake, but anything too elaborate is out of the question for my sketching skills.

The one tip I will share with you is to not provide a sketch without a deposit. I've learned this the hard way. I had my husband spend quite some time on a couple sketches for a some clients and gave them the sketches before we got the deposit and never heard from them again. We spent a lot of time working on those ideas and sketches too. From then on, I've told customers I will provide a sketch once the deposit and contract are in place.

amygortoncakes Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 6:07pm
post #3 of 7

Great tip thanks.

I am thinking of enrolling in a basic art class at my local community college to help with the sketching aspect.

On all the cake shows, I feel like everyone has nice sketches to provide their customers and their team to work from.

The other thing I was thinking too, was taking a sculpting class to help with gumpaste figures.

tracycakes Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 6:55pm
post #4 of 7

I sketch the cakes so that I understand what the customer wants. It's a quick sketch and I'll use colored pencils also to get an idea of the color combo. If they want a copy, it's only after I receive a deposit. yep, I got burned on that once also. I usually do it after we have talked and they are tasting cake.

leah_s Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 7:02pm
post #5 of 7

I make several sketches of cakes when I'm talking to brides. I don't copy other people's work, so bringing a picture for me to copy will not work.

Frankly, I draw stick cakes. Good enough.

calivettie Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 7:19pm
post #6 of 7

Lol, leah! yay "stick cakes"

I do the same, but with explanation and me coloring the picture, they end up loving my idea for the cake.

I generally do not give my sketches to the client. However, I have also learned the hard way, and will not even start a skecth until I receive a deposit.

indydebi Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 8:40pm
post #7 of 7

Nope, I never sketched.

I do one level lower than leah .... I do stick-figure cakes in Excel. Cells outlined that look like cake tiers. Decorating instructions written out to the right of each tier. ("swirls in light blue; white pearl bottom border; no top border")

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%