Shiny Black On Gum Paste

Decorating By Renoir Updated 9 Nov 2010 , 5:49pm by ddaigle

Renoir Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 3:32pm
post #1 of 12

I only have access to Michael's and A.C. Moore, and do not have time to order anything online. I am going to color some gum paste black, but then need to make it shine. How can I do that?

11 replies
mexicrocker Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 4:10pm
post #2 of 12

Ok after you make whatever you're gonna make with the black gumpaste then brush it with a thin layer of piping gel. If the gel is too thick and clumpy then thin it out with vodka or water, mix it with a brush till it looks smooth.

Hope this helps.

Renoir Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 5:50pm
post #3 of 12

Will that dry or remain wet/sticky?

mexicrocker Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 6:26pm
post #4 of 12

Yes it should get dry. If you mix in vodka it dries quicker because the alchohol evaporates faster than water.

Renoir Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 9:40pm
post #5 of 12

I just read in another forum that someone brushed oil over either gum paste or modeling chocolate and it gave it a wet sheen. I think it was a Wolverine hand/claw. That seems easy. Has anyone else done that successfully? Any drawbacks?

brincess_b Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 9:59pm
post #6 of 12

oil might get absorbed in eventually - you can rub on crisco, but that dissapears as the gumpaste absorbs it.
piping gel i dont think will dry.
you can use steam as well, although its not that strong a shine.
i dont know if those stores carry edible glaze, btu thats 100% the shiniest finish - theres edible versions in the recipe section.
xx

mexicrocker Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 10:15pm
post #7 of 12

You might try all of these ideas on a scrap piece of fondant and see what works for you. The gel always works for me but the climate where you live might make it work differently.

cdgleason Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 10:24pm
post #8 of 12

One of my recent cakes had black and teal fondant accents....I know that it can be incredibly difficult to get a nice deep, true, black color when you're coloring it yourself, even the smallest amount! Mine always ends up being some funky color of gray or purple... it's usually a mess... by the time I add enough color then it messes with the consistency. icon_sad.gif
For that reason, I buy ready made black fondant, usually satin ice, or Pettinice, but I've also bought Wilton brand! With most colors, I'll color the fondant myself, but IF I have to have black, I just use a coupon and get it ready made from Hobby Lobby, or JoAnns, or Michaels... (I know that JoAnns accepts coupons from their competitors) I live a few miles from Country Kitchen, sweet art, so I can get just about anything I need there.
When it comes to making your gumpaste or fondant shine, there's a varnish available at cake stores or online, that works really well, or, you can use some tylose glue that is thinned down with vodka... I never use water because it can compromise the integrity of some decorations, vodka evaporates very fast and is less likely to leave the fondant or gumpaste wet or soggy~

diamonds-and-rust Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 5:01pm
post #9 of 12

Steaming doesn't work very well for me unless I paint it with luster dust first...but I have read on the forums (have not tried it myself so I cannot vouch for it) that PAM works well, as well as a "varnish" of 50/50 vodka and corn syrup. Let us know if you try either of those methods how they work for you, k?
Cathy

ddaigle Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 5:27pm
post #10 of 12

In my opinion, Satin Ice is the best for Black Fondant. For shine, I use equal parts of vodka and karo syrup. This is the least sticky treatment for shine I have found, but if the fondant has ANY crisco in it, it will bead up.

I did a disco floor with a mixed colored tile floor and did 3 coats of the vodka/karo mix. It looked like I dumped a bottle of Mop 'n Glo on it. I loved the results, but again, where I had used crisco in my colors, it beaded up.

ddaigle Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 5:46pm
post #11 of 12

There's a discussion here somewhere about the vodka/karo recipe I think by cakewhiz. Here's a picture of the disco floor I was talking about. You can tell the colors that had crisco in them, as they beaded up. Not sure if gumpaste takes the shine differently than fondant...??

ddaigle Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 5:49pm
post #12 of 12

Shoot...can't upload attachment

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%