Fondant Or Gum Paste (Or Both)

Decorating By Renoir Updated 8 Nov 2010 , 3:27pm by TexasSugar

Renoir Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 3:17pm
post #1 of 2

I'm making a high-heeled shoe and want to be able to sculpt it easily and have it dry hard, or at least very firm. My thought is to use gum paste because fondant remains somewhat soft and it won't hold the shape of the sole and also the heel won't be able to support the shoe. I need it to dry in a few days if possible. Fondant is easier to me to work with though. I've read that some people mix them. What is the best way to do the shoe and have it dry and ready for placement in about 3 days?

1 reply
TexasSugar Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 3:27pm
post #2 of 2

I haven't made a shoe, but if I was to make one I'd probably do it all gumpaste. I've used fondant/gumpaste mix for many things. But for a shoe you need strenght for the sole of the shoe, that is why I'd probably go all gumpaste. If you work work pretty quickly, then gumpaste isn't hard to work with. If you want to slow the drying time down a little I'd add in a small amount of fondant.

Gumpaste, really should dry in 24 hours, it shouldn't take 3 days for it to dry. Though I wouldn't wait until last minute to do it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%