Transporting/storing A 3D Cake

Decorating By jadetravis00 Updated 8 Nov 2010 , 7:45pm by CakesbyCarla

jadetravis00 Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 2:51pm
post #1 of 2

I have a question, I am making a 3d duck cake for someone I know for a baby shower. How do I store it and then get it to the party? Thanks for any advise you have!

1 reply
CakesbyCarla Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 7:45pm
post #2 of 2

I don't know if you have one, but I use a big storage container (you know like those big rubber maid bins you can store things in w/ a lid). Well, I just take off the lid, make sure the container is clean and then turn it upside down over my cake. I have a pretty big one, so it's fit over some pretty big cakes, but it helps keep dust or whatever away from the cake and keeps a good amount of moisture in as well (I usually wait til right before bed to cover it if I need it to dry, because it won't dry under that thing during the night like I thought it would.)

I don't cover it though for transportation. Here's what I do for safe transportation of all my cakes.

I found some grippy material at Lowes, around the tile/laminate flooring section. It's a plastic mat with holes (it's a big sheet and you can cut it to size), sort of like netting, but thicker and you lay it on the floor under things you don't want to slide around.

I have laid this down on the bottom of my trunk and it works really well to keep the cake board from sliding and the trunk is great b/c it keeps the cake level etc. I usually put my board's edge to the front of the truck so that it doesn't have any room to move forward if I should have to tap the breaks.

I hope that helps. Best of luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%