Moist Cupcakes & Icing??

Baking By cakestars Updated 6 Dec 2010 , 5:36am by Pheebs24

cakestars Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestars Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 1:56pm
post #1 of 6

I don't do cupcakes very often but I'm very excited to do some for a friend of mine this weekend. I'm doing devils food, funfetti and strawberry cupcakes for a princess party icon_smile.gif

I was wondering if you all had any tips on keeping the cupcakes moist? I've read brushing them with apricot syrup? Does anyone else do this?

Also, I've been searching for a recipe that will hold up with the 1M swirl but not too sweet. What's the best recipe you've come across for cupcake icing? (if you don't mind sharing!)

Thanks everyone!

5 replies
MAMAWOF4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MAMAWOF4 Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 4:30pm
post #2 of 6

Add instant pudding to your cake mix (if they don't already have it mixed in) - your cupcakes will stay moist. As far as frosting, I always use the standard buttercream (I add 1/2 stick butter to help with the greasy texture). As long as it is not really runny and you add meringue powder, it will hold up. Look at my pics for a cupcake bouquet that I did recently. Good luck!!

Kamstor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kamstor Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 5:24pm
post #3 of 6

I have not had any problems with my cakes staying moist. If I am making them in advance I freeze mine by wrapping them in plastic wrap then tin foil. Before I am ready to decorate them I defrost them by unwrapping them and letting them sit on the counter for a couple of hours.

If I am making them the day before my event I just wrap them in plastic wrap and keep them in an air tight tupperware contaniner.

As far as buttercream frosting goes I think they are all sweet but I use the crisco recipe for white or chocolate buttercream. I do not have the recipe handy since I am at work but if you need just email me and I am happy to send it to you. You can also click on the recipe tab and see what others have posted.

Good Luck

wonderdust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wonderdust Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 6:38pm
post #4 of 6

The best frosting I have used so far (cannot stand the taste, texture or excessive sweetness of powdered sugar) is the boiled frosting recipe. The trick that I have not seen mentioned in most methods for using this icing is to refrigerate in a covered bowl for 15 - 20 minutes before using and it can then stand up to any piping you desire. Once the icing is on and sets it is good for several days. It also works well with flavoring. It is such a nice, light, subtle frosting.

6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups milk
2 cups (4 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
2 cups granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract OR FLAVOURING OF CHOICE HERE

In a medium-size saucepan, whisk the flour into the milk until smooth. Place over medium heat and, stirring constantly, cook until the mixture becomes very thick and begins to bubble, 10-15 minutes. Cover with waxed paper placed directly on the surface and cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes.

In a large bowl, on the medium high speed of an electric mixer, beat the butter for 3 minutes, until smooth and creamy. Gradually add the sugar, beating continuously for 3 minutes until fluffy.
Add FLAVOUR OF CHOICE and beat well.

Add the cooled milk mixture, and continue to beat on the medium high speed for 5 minutes, until very smooth. Cover and refrigerate for 15 - 20 minutes Use immediately.

I hope this helps!

ILoveDaffodils Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ILoveDaffodils Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 12:52am
post #5 of 6

wonderdust, thanks for the recipe. I don't like too sweet icing but never tried the boiled frosting because I didn't think it could be piped. I will try your version. Have you ever tried to freeze any leftover frosting?

Pheebs24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pheebs24 Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 5:36am
post #6 of 6

I've tried this boiled icing and it's really great. But when i tried to put color gel, it didn't mix that well.

Can I put color in boiled icing? Any trick or tip on how to color it?

Thank you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%