To Carry On Or Not?

Decorating By heroes Updated 11 Nov 2010 , 5:29am by HowCoolGomo1

heroes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heroes Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 10:45am
post #1 of 13

I love decorating cakes, Ive only been doing it for a while, say about a year, I just dont know whether to carry on or not, the reason is, I see on all the photo's that are on cc and they are fantastic, and dont know if im good enough to carry on, my phone has only rang twice over the last 4 months for a cake order, so do I give up now or carry on? Feeling very unsure of myself today,

Karen xx

12 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 10:55am
post #2 of 13

ok, if this is a ploy to get people to tell you how great your cakes look, then it's probably going to work because your cakes look great. icon_biggrin.gif

I've been making cakes for 30 years and i STILL look at some of the cakes on here .... Edna's, Thahn Thahn's, costumeczar, and many many others that I'm insulting by omitting their name from this list ..... and I just think, "Holy cow, Deb, you have some nerve calling yourself a cake decorator compared to these people!" icon_surprised.gif

A year is not a long time and all of us are learning new ideas and techniques every single day.

You're not a Colette Peters or a Norm Davis yet ... but then, nobody but Colette and Norm are!! thumbs_up.gif

AbouttheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AbouttheCake Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 10:55am
post #3 of 13

If you still like it then by all means carry on. We didn't get better overnight nor did our businesses blossom overnight. It can take a good 3 or more years to get "super busy". Just keep plugging along and playing with your icing and get better and better (I haven't seen your photos so I don't know what your work is like...this is a general statement.)

Those fantastic cakes didn't pop out of the decorators in the first year...maybe a couple of them, but not in general.

Carry on!

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 11:45am
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

ok, if this is a ploy to get people to tell you how great your cakes look, then it's probably going to work because your cakes look great. icon_biggrin.gif

I've been making cakes for 30 years and i STILL look at some of the cakes on here .... Edna's, Thahn Thahn's, costumeczar, and many many others that I'm insulting by omitting their name from this list ..... and I just think, "Holy cow, Deb, you have some nerve calling yourself a cake decorator compared to these people!" icon_surprised.gif

A year is not a long time and all of us are learning new ideas and techniques every single day.

You're not a Colette Peters or a Norm Davis yet ... but then, nobody but Colette and Norm are!! thumbs_up.gif

Listen to IndyDebi! I've also looked at your cakes, they are dynamite! Give it some time. Don't back down on prices, your fondant work is great on the cakes I looked at in the gallery. People will eventually want your artistry and your ability to make a great tasting cake. It's a gift. Don't sell yourself short because no one is breaking down the door. I believe given time, you might be shooeing away business.

heroes Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 12:19pm
post #5 of 13

OMG you have all managed to make me cry now icon_cry.gif , honestly, im not that easily upset by the internet, btw it honestly wasnt a ploy for you to look at my work icon_surprised.gif lol but Im very thankful that you did, for the fact that you as excellent artists have looked at my pics and tell me they are good is priceless to me. Perhaps Im not really giving myself time for those orders to come in, time is something I really need to get a hold of by the sound of it, perhaps I should give myself a break. Thankyou for your replies I really appreciate it. xxxxxxxxxxx

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 12:50pm
post #6 of 13

Okay, I didn''t look at your pictures icon_lol.gif but no matter how good or bad you are right now you can always improve. Most of cake decorating is practice, so the more you do the better you'll get. Don't get discouraged, it takes a while to build up a portfolio. As long as you're enjoying it then keep at it!

traci_doodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci_doodle Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 12:56pm
post #7 of 13

I agree with the others on here, Your cakes look great! But looking at your pictures I think your pictures don't really do your cakes justice. If you're trying to advertise your business, I would suggest getting better pictures of your cakes. You need better lighting as a bare minimum. It's easy for us to see how great your cakes are because we know what to look for, but people outside the cake world can't tell how great your cakes are unless you vividly show them.

AmysCakesNCandies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmysCakesNCandies Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 1:23pm
post #8 of 13

The first year in bussiness is always the hardest and slowest, it takes time to build a reputation and gain faithfull customers, you just need to be patient and try some different ways to attract customers. Technically i have started my bussiness twice because after several years in illinois my husbands work moved us to north carolina and i can attest to it two fold that it takes time to get a bussiness off the ground. If you still love doing it, Just be patient and keep pushing forward

indydebi Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 2:34pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by heroes

btw it honestly wasnt a ploy for you to look at my work icon_surprised.gif lol but Im very thankful that you did,....

icon_lol.gif Please know, just for the record, that I WAS teasing you about that! I didn't really think that was your purpose! thumbs_up.gif

heroes Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 2:42pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:

Quote:

btw it honestly wasnt a ploy for you to look at my work icon_surprised.gif lol but Im very thankful that you did,....

icon_lol.gif Please know, just for the record, that I WAS teasing you about that! I didn't really think that was your purpose! thumbs_up.gif

I know you were only teasing indidebi, I didnt take it seriously icon_lol.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 2:55pm
post #11 of 13

It does take alot of time to get a business going!!!! I've been here in the area 8 years and while I didn't promote myself as a business the whole time (had to wait til I was licensed to do that for the most part) its been a very very gradual thing. I do know others who go faster but its because they get licensed and BAM they start promoting themselves enough to fill the calendar. Also we live in a big area...smaller areas will be slower.

Your work is great! It does take time to get the right customer base who will start calling. PLUS a friend and I were talking....phone calls are slowing down right now as people start getting ready for the holidays.

indydebi Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 3:00pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I know you were only teasing indidebi, I didnt take it seriously icon_lol.gif

Whew!!

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 5:29am
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by traci_doodle

I agree with the others on here, Your cakes look great! But looking at your pictures I think your pictures don't really do your cakes justice. If you're trying to advertise your business, I would suggest getting better pictures of your cakes. You need better lighting as a bare minimum. It's easy for us to see how great your cakes are because we know what to look for, but people outside the cake world can't tell how great your cakes are unless you vividly show them.

This is some great advice.

I've thrown out pics of some my best work, because there was a bottle of Tabasco sitting next to them and those were the only pictures I had. No, photoshop wouldn't have saved.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%