Covering A Giant Cupcake In Fondant...

Decorating By katibeth88 Updated 10 Nov 2010 , 1:34am by katibeth88

katibeth88 Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 3:47am
post #1 of 3

I've been wanting to try Wilton's Giant Cupcake Pan for a while now. I finally bought it this weekend for my niece's birthday cake.

Any of you have tips on frosting this sucker? I've only ever covered regular round cakes in fondant.. (I did one square, but it wasn't awesome)

Does this require more skill than i have? I'd like it to be covered in fondant because i can't seem to get my buttercream recipe smooth and this recipe is the only one my family likes icon_razz.gif

2 replies
KJ62798 Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 4:01am
post #2 of 3

I've done the Giant Cuppie a few times but only once w/fondant. For that one, I cut the "bump" off the top of the bottom section and the turned it upside down onto a cake circle. I did the undercoat of BC and then put the fondant on from the bottom so that it could drape from the narrow bottom out over the wider top. Once I got it pressed into place, I turned it right side up and put it on the display plate. The top section covered the sort of ugly edge where the fondant met the top of the bottom cake. I used a BIG cupcake tip to pipe the big swirly BC onto the top section and then added sprinkles.

For the other 2 that I've done, I frosted the whole thing in BC and then made a faux cupcake wrapper for the bottom. You can cut a piece of parchment, freezer wrap or wrapping paper to the height of the bottom and then fan-fold it like a real wrapper. Wrap it around the bottom when you set it up. You have to finesse it a bit to get the right shape but it comes out cute. I have an example in my gallery.

One tip--treat this like a tiered cake. Put a cakeboard under the top section and put supports into the bottom cake. It is very top heavy and needs support.

Good Luck,

katibeth88 Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 1:34am
post #3 of 3

Thank you SO much!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%