This Is Why We Cake!

Decorating By KJ62798 Updated 8 Nov 2010 , 9:08pm by jerseygirlNga

KJ62798 Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 3:15am
post #1 of 12

I had such a great cake weekend that I had to share w/the CC family (who would understand my joy).

I delivered the cake & cuppies today to the birthday party for a dear friend's 2YO daughter. The little girl was SO excited. She was dancing around "It's my happy day" and "That's MY cake!" She cried when her gram tried to take her outside away from the cake. My friend's husband commented that they had not had a cake this nice since their wedding. (It's the Tinkerbell cake in my gallery)

I came home from the party to a voice mail from my Grandmother. My parents, aunts/uncles took her out to dinner Sat. night for her 89th birthday so I sent a small cake w/them as her gift. She called to say thanks and that it was both beautiful and delicious. (It's the Fall cake in my gallery)

So I'm on a happy cake cloud right now, even if the DH thinks they are "just cakes."

Kristy

11 replies
Elcee Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 4:26am
post #2 of 12

Kristy, I know exactly how you feel. I always feel SO HAPPY AND EXCITED when my cakes make others happy.

Enjoy the glow! icon_biggrin.gif

Lemmers Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 2:31pm
post #3 of 12

So glad to hear a happy cake story instead of a disaster for once!

I've only made 2 cakes so far, one for my daughter for her 1st Birthday and one for a colleagues baby shower- both received lots of "ooh" and "aah" comments as well as "you should do this professionally" (despite me knowing they were both peppered with flaws and needed much improvement). But, it makes you glow inside to know you've made someone happy like that, which in the end makes up for those moments of insanity when everything seems to go wrong.

Well done on the good weekend icon_smile.gif

Kellbella Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 2:42pm
post #4 of 12

I love the cake "high" you get.

jones5cm Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 3:17pm
post #5 of 12

There's no such thing as 'just cakes'...not to us anyway!!!

KJ62798 Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 4:42pm
post #6 of 12

Thanks everyone. It was a really good day and the DH doesn't get it. I knew the CC family would.

Kristy

debbief Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 5:29pm
post #7 of 12

thumbs_up.gif Couldn't agree more! I just did a cake for a friend of a friend's grandson. I was happy to let my friend give her my number thinking I'd get a chance to do a cute cake for a 4 year old. Then she called and said he wanted an Ironman cake.

I groaned and complained the whole time because I'm just so NOT into Ironman. I kept thinking I should have said no since I only do this for a hobby and I shouldn't have to do anything I'm not excited about. But when she came over with her grandson to pick up the cake, I couldn't believe how excited and amazed they were! It totally made it worth it. icon_smile.gif

Apti Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 5:49pm
post #8 of 12

What a wonderful cake weekend. So glad you got the "happys" from giving others the "happys". Isn't cake grand.....

cakesmart Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 7:51pm
post #9 of 12

I understand your joy completely. I feel the same way when I hear back from those who have enjoyed the cakes. Bravo!

mfoxx9 Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 8:31pm
post #10 of 12

Your Tinkerbell cake is beautiful! Great job, and I totally understand how you feel. I did a Princess Tiana cake as a gift for my friend's daughter for her birthday party back in June. Not only did the little girl love it, but what really made my day, was when her 8 year-old older brother came up to me with the biggest smile and asked if I'd make him a Pikachu (from Pokemon) cake for his birthday in November. I knew I couldn't sell them a Pikachu cake because of the copyright issue, but I just couldn't say no! So I made the cake last week, and in exchange, my friend is going to babysit my kids some night so my husband and I can have a date night. That cake turned out pretty cute, too, and he loved it!

beenie51 Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 8:44pm
post #11 of 12

I agree, I wouldn't be caking if I did not enjoy making others happy on whatever day it is for them. I know the flaws on everycake I have done but the people they are for love them.

jerseygirlNga Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 9:08pm
post #12 of 12

I have to say, I do it as much for me as for the recipient of the cake. I had worked for the last 20 years building a business and in the economy, I fell victim. Making someone happy, gives me a feeling of satisfaction and it is an ego boost.

Now, I share what I thought was a disaster...and this week that disaster turned into be a HUGE giggle.

A long time friend (more than 20+ years) asked me to make a cake for their daughters 30th b'day. I did. I was so pleased with the way it turned out but on the trip to the house...the back of the lower tier just broke away. I hurried in the back door...made the repairs I could and put some of the final touches on it. (Lesson learned...gumpaste figures can be fragile!!!). I was confident in flavors but embarrassed by the collapse, I will admit. Although I was invited, I left early.

This weekend, I ran into my friends and asked, how did you like the way the cake turned out? The wife snickered and shot a look at her dear hubby. She said, "Jim carried the cake to the kitchen, tripped and the darn thing ended up on the floor." Okay, not funny...but it was. I was so worried about the look...goes to show you...stop worrying about the small stuff. I guess Jim will now shoulder my embarrassment until I make him another cake to redeem himself!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%