Minicupcake Sampler

Baking By Corik Updated 8 Nov 2010 , 1:19am by Corik

Corik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corik Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 12:42am
post #1 of 3

Hi all!
I'm just getting started in the cake business & was asked to be a vendor at a Toys for Tots type of fundraiser next month. It will be an opportunity to give out cards & meet potential clients. I was thinking of make a bunch of mini cupcakes to give out as samples & I'm looking for ideas.
Does anyone here have any tips or advice or pics to share for me?
Thank you.

2 replies
blissfulbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blissfulbaker Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 1:14am
post #2 of 3

I just recently did something similar for a home tour in my area. I was told they normally sell 400 to 500 tickets to the event. So I baked cupcakes, cookies an cake balls for that many people. It was a lot of work. Guess what...the day before the event they called to tell me they only sold 150 tickets this year. I had cupcakes frozen and stored in all my neighbors freezers. I had so many left overs. I did get a few clients from the event so it was not a total waste and I was able to sell some of the leftover cupcakes, cookies and cake balls (at a discount). Last week I got another call for a different charity function. If I decide to try it again I will only be baking 1/2 or 1/4 sheet cakes. They will be much easier and quicker to bake and transport. No cake balls or cookies this time. I still have some time before I need to make my final decision. Other things to keep in mind is these types of functions take a lot of time, it is very difficult to determine how much to make and since we deal with perishable goods there is the risk of waste and since you are spending time preparing for the function you do not have the time to work on clients who will be paying for your goods. Best of luck.

Corik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corik Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 1:19am
post #3 of 3

Thanks for the quick reply. Sounds like a nightmare.
This is a much smaller event. I do not have an approximate headcount yet, but I know the venue is not very large. I was thinking of only making about 4 different kinds of minicupcakes to keep it simple.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%