How Many Cakes Do You Or Can You Bake At Once?

Decorating By Tink1016 Updated 8 Nov 2010 , 5:25am by indydebi

Tink1016 Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 12:26am
post #1 of 8

I usually bake cakes one at a time if they are really big, or two at a time if I am making a 6 or 8". You can imagine that because of this, it is taking me FOREVER to bake stuff!!

So, how many cakes do you bake at once in your oven? Is there anything I should know before I attempt this?

Let's say I bake a 10 and 6 on the top rack and then another 10 and 6 on the bottom rack, I would think that the 6 would be done before the 10 so I should keep an eye on it but it would take longer than if I just had the 6's in there right? I feel dumb even asking this but I just don't want to try it and waste batter.

Help! icon_redface.gif

7 replies
sugarcheryl Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 12:32am
post #2 of 8

It depends on your oven size. In my oven I can bake 4 size 6" or 2 10". You have to know how your oven bakes it's really trial and error.

cattycornercakes Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 12:40am
post #3 of 8

My cakes only seem to bake right if I bake on one rack in the middle of the oven. I've tried baking on 2 racks and I don't like the results. I was able to bake two 10" and 2 4" together this weekend on the one rack though.

Tink1016 Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 12:56am
post #4 of 8

Thanks Cattycornercakes!

Maybe I should clarify.... I know that each oven would be different... I just am looking for some general "don't do this" or this works best type rules that I havent come across yet. I've never baked on both racks at the same time just out of being nervous and was wondering if that was just me being silly and if I should just try it...

alleykat1 Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 1:07am
post #5 of 8

my oven is like that too..I only bake on one rack in the middle at a time but I can do 3 8's or an 8 and a 10 etc.
I found that if I use two racks the bottom rack gets too done on the bottom and the top rack gets too done on top so I stick with one rack in the middle
hope this helps but you need to experiment with your oven.

JustGettinStarted Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 1:39am
post #6 of 8

my question is, if you are baking a 10 and a 6 for example, in the same oven, I would think the 6 would be finished first, so how do you go about checking it without it being too early to open the oven for the 10? Does that make sense?

alleykat1 Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 4:24am
post #7 of 8

yep it does...when I do that I use a heating core in anything over an 8inch pan then I put 30mins on the timer and check them at that point..usually the 6 inch would come out then and I'll add a few more mins for the bigger cake.. this is for my oven you may check yours at 25 mins and work from there. hope this helps

indydebi Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 5:25am
post #8 of 8

in my home oven......

I can get two 6" and two 8" on one rack. I can get two 10" and one 6" or 8" on one rack.

I dont' like to bake on two different racks because I feel that the pans need swapped out about mid-way (to avoid overbaking the bottom rack, as mentioned above) and i'm nervous about moving cake pans right at the stage when the center is not quite set yet.

As long as you're not opening/closing/openign/closing the oven door all the time, there shouldnt' be a problem taking the 6"-ers out ahead of time. I try to keep them near the door for easy access.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%